Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1994 XJ Fog lights (stock) turn off when low beam activated (and high and parking)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 1994 XJ Fog lights (stock) turn off when low beam activated (and high and parking)

Fog lights hadn't worked in a long time. I patched them up, below. Now they work but... if I put the headlights on, low beam, (or park or high), the relay clicks and the fogs turn off. I would like to be able to use the fogs and the low beams at the same time.

I would appreciate some suggestions. I would prefer to keep the standard 'fogs off when high beams on' if I can. In any case, the bypass-the-high-beam writeups I've see are all for the 97+; the 94 XJ doesn't have the two fog relays in the PDU; the only one I know of is on the drive side in the very front.

-I have a new relay installed. The old one had gotten inverted and water rotted it. The harness seems fine.
-I did not have power at the fog switch in the dash. I did not trace it out to see why; instead, I ran a 12v from the fuse box to a new switch, and snipped the center wire out of the stock harness to connect to the other side of the switch. As I mentioned up top, when I flip the switch, the fog lights do come on now as long as the headlight plunger is all the way in.
-One headlight is incandescent. The other is a truck-lite knockoff from Amazon which is working really well so far. I don't think that LED headlight should impact my fogs, but mention it for completeness sake.
-A remote starter (Viper) was recently installed, before I started working on the fogs. It doesn't interact with the headlights or the fog, but the corner lights do come on when the truck is started. I don't think this is related but again thought I should mention it.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
1994 Cherokee XJ Country,
Old 11-08-2018, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Why not wire the fogs to their own switch so you can turn them on or off whenever you want without being part of the headlight circuit?
Old 11-08-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I would prefer to keep the high-beam cutoff if I am able to; if I can't figure out how to do that, yes, I will just bypass the headlight circuit