Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1994 Cherokee quits on me

Old 04-10-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Post 1994 Cherokee quits on me

Hi, I am having problems with my 1994 Cherokee. It will get me to work every time, but on the way home it just dies on me. I will restart it and it will drive a little bit and die again. Sometimes it takes 20 times and all of a sudden it will get me home! The engine is not running hot, the radiator is o.k. , I changed the water pump, thermostats, fuel filter, and much more. I am not a mechanic, so if any one out there can give me any advice, I would appreciate it!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:26 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Gerald
Hi, I am having problems with my 1994 Cherokee. It will get me to work every time, but on the way home it just dies on me. I will restart it and it will drive a little bit and die again. Sometimes it takes 20 times and all of a sudden it will get me home! The engine is not running hot, the radiator is o.k. , I changed the water pump, thermostats, fuel filter, and much more. I am not a mechanic, so if any one out there can give me any advice, I would appreciate it!
Hi and welcome to CF from Tj, sounds like either a fuel problem or possibly the CPS (crank position sensor) I had same problem in my 94 with it just stalling out so this could be the problem. Here is a link on how you can change it...Tj
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoCPSchange.htm
Old 04-10-2010, 09:21 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

CPS Testing

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines
1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (SEE Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

TESTING PROCECURE for 1987 – 1990 4.0 L engines

Test # 1 · Get a volt/ohm meter and set it to read 0 - 500 ohms. Unplug the CPS and measure across the CPS connector's A & B leads. Your meter should show a CPS resistance of between 125 - 275 ohms. If the CPS is out of that range by much, replace it.

Test # 2. Set the volt/ohm meter to read 0 - 5 AC volts or the closest AC Volts scale your meter has to this range. Measure across the CPS leads for voltage generated as your helper cranks the engine. (The engine can't fire up without the CPS connected but watch for moving parts just the same!) The meter should show .5 - .8 VAC when cranking. (That's between 1/2 and 1 volt AC.) If it's below .5vac, replace it.