Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1993 jeep xj charging problem... please help

Old 12-29-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1993 jeep xj charging problem... please help

Hello I have a 95 jeep cherokee that I recently did a motor and tranny swap from a 93 cherokee and I've been having a charging prob ever since I got it all back together. Its throwing code 41, I've replaced the starter, alternator, and battery but when I turn my lights on and my heater on full blast my battery gauge drops till everything eventually shuts off
Old 12-29-2010, 11:24 AM

I have a similar problem with my 93. When I'm playin in the mountains, my jeep runs with low charging and if u shut it off then it won't start again. When I'm back in town around the base of he mountain, no issues. My buddy keeps sayin to check the grounds but why would it only have an issue at higher altitude? New battery and alternator, both charge and hold in town!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The 41 usually is alternator related, but it can be related to the computer (which houses the voltage regulator).

If there is any way of swapping in a different computer to verify, that would be the best bet here.

Freshening grounds / connections is never a bad idea.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L high output with compressed valves
Question

bad voltage regulator. swap computer or save money and externally wire a dodge voltage regulator in.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

before you do any of that crap start with the basics, connections, grounds, wires, fuses. i thought i toasted my alternator, turns out it was just a fuse, START WITH THE BASICS!!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by claygrassmann
before you do any of that crap start with the basics, connections, grounds, wires, fuses. i thought i toasted my alternator, turns out it was just a fuse, START WITH THE BASICS!!!!
I've checked all my wires and replaced the grounds and the wires running to the starter. All my fuses r good. But I have a 2400w system with 4 gauge wiring and a capacitor.. could that b causing the voltage drop
Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

running a stock alternator definately, im running a stock alternator and a red top battery with upgraded wiring and when i have my head lights kc lights heater and back up lights and radio on my needle drops not alot but it does, you are pulling prolly ten times as much power as i am so yeah thats gonna eff your stuff up, upgrade the alternator and all your wires (bat to pdc, pdc to alt, anything with starting and charging) and youll be doin alright
Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by claygrassmann
running a stock alternator definately, im running a stock alternator and a red top battery with upgraded wiring and when i have my head lights kc lights heater and back up lights and radio on my needle drops not alot but it does, you are pulling prolly ten times as much power as i am so yeah thats gonna eff your stuff up, upgrade the alternator and all your wires (bat to pdc, pdc to alt, anything with starting and charging) and youll be doin alright
I just checked and even with my system completely unhooked its still draining
Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

one thing you can do is to do a key off draw test, basically you want to run the jeep for about 30 min if you can then shut her off and without breaking the circuit you want to hook up a test light in series with the battery, it helps to have two people for this, then once the light is hooked up let it sit for 30 or 45 min, if the light is still on even a lil then you start pullin fuses, once you pull that fuse and the light goes off then you have found whats draining the battery, make sure you pull the fuses under the hood and inside the cab. if that doesnt do it then take your DVM and test the resistance of the wires, if that dont do it then i would try replacing the pcm. if that dont do it then im lost
Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L high output with compressed valves

Im telling you its your voltage regulator look at my previous threads bout this. My check engine light it permanetely on and code 41 because i have an externally wired volt. reg. So either get a new ecu. or wire in an external voltage regulator. also check the connections at the terminals on the alt.