Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1992 XJ turns over but no coil power

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1992 XJ turns over but no coil power

Would it be the ASD?

I have replaced the CPS, has fuel pressure, turns over.

Doesnt have a spark at the plugs or distributor.

HELP! May be selling it and it needs to run when I sell it

Thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7 stroker

Sounds like the coil to me, its always the second place to go if the cps doesnt fix the no start problem.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 89 xj stroker
Sounds like the coil to me, its always the second place to go if the cps doesnt fix the no start problem.
ASD relay may have something to do with it?

And well the weird thing is it cranked up and idled just fine before I replaced my t-case. Had problems after i fixed everything.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 92XJL

ASD relay may have something to do with it?

And well the weird thing is it cranked up and idled just fine before I replaced my t-case. Had problems after i fixed everything.
While changin the transfer case, did you pull a wire, sensor, or ground that you could have looked over? And btw what does ASD mean?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I agree with 89 xj stroker. Test your ignition coil. They can be tested with a meter and a manual. You test them for both primary and secondary resistance values.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:29 PM

While changin the transfer case, did you pull a wire, sensor, or ground that you could have looked over? And btw what does ASD mean?
Nah, I pulled wire for the interior but that was all intrior dome lights and already non-working wires.

ASD- AutoShut Down (relay)

Originally Posted by tjwalker
I agree with 89 xj stroker. Test your ignition coil. They can be tested with a meter and a manual. You test them for both primary and secondary resistance values.
Alright thank you! I just dont understand why I would have no power to the coil after a month in the garage working on the transfercase..

I did remove all of the A/C and Heater equipment but I thought that all of it was on its own power
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 PM

I found out the problem I think... When I took out the trans, I cut off the ring on the flex plate so I could see more of what I was doing when installing the trans again..

I read that the CPS is a magnet and needs to have a magnetic field to start the vehicle, which the other part to the magnetic reaction is what I cut off.

I wonder if I can cut a small piece of metal and somehow secure it to the magnet to get that all work again
Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 PM

I found out the problem I think... When I took out the trans, I cut off the ring on the flex plate so I could see more of what I was doing when installing the trans again..

I read that the CPS is a magnet and needs to have a magnetic field to start the vehicle, which the other part to the magnetic reaction is what I cut off.

I wonder if I can cut a small piece of metal and somehow secure it to the magnet to get that all work again
The ring that sticks out and has a bunch of notches in it?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You need a new flexplate.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:05 AM

The ring that sticks out and has a bunch of notches in it?
Yes, the CPS is a magnet and the magnetic field is VERY small. I had my old CPS (still working CPS) and plugged it up and set it to the closest clean metal I could find. I laid it on that piece on metal, but still no result.

Originally Posted by Bustedback
You need a new flexplate.
I'm thinking I could somehow get around that. Somehow securing a piece of metal to the CPS and trick it into thinking that the ring is still there.

After I did the CPS stuff, that still isnt all of the problem. It probably helped the problem, but now I'm thinking its the Ignition coil. Theres no spark from the coil to the wires..
Old 10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You NEED a NEW flexplate. Fix it right.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
You NEED a NEW flexplate. Fix it right.
Honestly the Jeep isnt worth buying something new. This is FARR from being a Daily Driver. It has been trashed from the previous owner through the mud and woods.

The Jeep its self is a ghetto homebrew.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:29 PM

No, you really need a new one. You cant trick the cps into thinking the ring is there. It uses the notches to know the rpm and when to fire which cylinder. In order for it to run correctly, you need a new flex plate even if it is off of one at the junkyard. If you get one for your jeep, make sure it goes on in the same position as the old one came off.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:27 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Just when you think you've heard everything............LOL
Old 07-21-2012, 10:19 PM

There is a way around your flex plate problem. Hesco makes the 4.2l injection kit that kit uses a sensor on the harmonic balancer for reading the crank. all you need to do is purchase the balancer for the auto trans and the sensor you can get at auto zone. no need for the whole kit or to replace the flex plate. simple as that..... hope that info wasn't to late.. Roccrawler3

Quick Reply: 1992 XJ turns over but no coil power