Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1991 cherokee no power.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1991 cherokee no power.

I have a 1991 jeep Cherokee that is having electrical issues (big surprise there). I have no dash lights, stereo won't turn on and it won't start. I messed with the shifter and it turned on. That worked for a couple days then it wouldn't work anymore. My battery is good, ignition switch is still somewhat new, and my connections are clean. I cleaned my neutral safety switch and it started again but once I moved the shifter it died. Could really use the help thanks.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Devon Nealey
I have a 1991 jeep Cherokee that is having electrical issues (big surprise there). I have no dash lights, stereo won't turn on and it won't start. I messed with the shifter and it turned on. That worked for a couple days then it wouldn't work anymore. My battery is good, ignition switch is still somewhat new, and my connections are clean. I cleaned my neutral safety switch and it started again but once I moved the shifter it died. Could really use the help thanks.
Check and clean all your grounds. Starter, engine block, alternator, firewall, etc. It also may be a loose connection in the steering column or the keyswitch itself (indicated by the lack of stereo and dash lights).

There's not really any simple answers with electrical issues. It just takes time, patience, and being thorough with ensuring good electrical connections.