Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 XJ owners help me out! Mysterious vent line ID

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1990 XJ owners help me out! Mysterious vent line ID

1990 XJ 4.0 auto...

So while I had my head off for the gasket replacement I was tracing the vacuum lines since the previous owner really did a number on this old girl.

Having found that my fuel tank vent line was not plugged in to my canister, I set out on a mission to find where it was....

Well I found it, it runs right into a rubber hose on the drivers side of the engine bay, then drapes across the back of the motor over the bellhousing, connecting to a steel line coming from the passenger side of the transmission....

Dosent look right to me....

As I'm pretty darn certain no auto manyfacturers ever vented their fuel tanks to a transmission, and it's pretty obvious where this line is supposed to connect ( purge tank ), I am left with the query....

Where does this metal line from the tranny go?

Input anyone?

Thanks all....
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix
Engine: 4.0L

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=&aqi=&start=0
thats a place to start..

but we really need some pics.. it not only helps us help you.. it will help others help themselves..

Thanks and hope to hear back
Old 01-28-2010, 11:07 AM

Year: 2000 &90

I had to straighten out a situation sort of like that on an old 86 we used to have.the trans vent as well as the fuel tank vent line should both go to the missing canister.I would disconnect them from each other and leave them open for now,until i get a canister for it.I don't honestly understand why people want to remove the canister,it really doesn't affect performance as long as there's no leaks.
On our old 86 though,someone even had the vacuum lines from the front axles connected to each other with no vacuum source,i think some people just removes thing and stick all thew leftover lines together,I've seen that more than once.there may or may not be a vaccum line map under the hood,and you can check the routing in a manual like haynes.
contact me if you have too many problems,and I will try to make a reasonable facsimile of the vacuum diagram under the hood of my 90 if you need it.Mine has the 5 speed,so not sure if you have that or the auto.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 AM

Year: 1998

My bad,

I just looked a little harder last night and found that the hose DOES NOT link to the tranny, but to the tip of the x-fer case....

Never heard of an x-fer case having anything more than a vacuum line going to it, and I THINK the vacuum line for the 4wd is in the bundle that connects on the driver side...correct me if I'm wrong...

So I'm guessing I'll be just fine putting a check valve on the top of this x-fer case hose, and hooking the tank vent back up to the purge canister.....

Am I correct in this?

Also, there is only supposed to be the line from the filter housing, and the line from the tank going into that canister correct?

Thanks again!