Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 4.0 Thrown Rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1990 4.0 Thrown Rod

Hello all, this is my first post here and I want to thank everyone for all the great info here as it has been invaluable to me in correcting my Cherokee problems.

Sadly, after fixing many issues and getting it to the point of reliable operation, my 1990 XJ 4.0 has thrown a rod. The bottom half of the #6 connecting rod is in pieces in the oil pan and the piston is apparently jammed up against the head at the top of the bore. There is a 2" diameter hole in the side of the block just above the oil pan flange. Otherwise there is no major visible damage.

I would like to get this vehicle running temporarily to pick up a replacement engine from the jy. I was thinking of jb welding a steel patch plate over the hole in the block, removing both push rods on #6 and disconnecting the fuel injector. Any opinions on this working/not working or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0
Default 1990 4.0 Thrown Rod

you'd be better off getting a buddy to take you. your engine will be extremely out of balance running like that(not even sure it would run) and you would most likely break down with more severe damage on the way there.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ngarwood
Hello all, this is my first post here and I want to thank everyone for all the great info here as it has been invaluable to me in correcting my Cherokee problems. Sadly, after fixing many issues and getting it to the point of reliable operation, my 1990 XJ 4.0 has thrown a rod. The bottom half of the #6 connecting rod is in pieces in the oil pan and the piston is apparently jammed up against the head at the top of the bore. There is a 2" diameter hole in the side of the block just above the oil pan flange. Otherwise there is no major visible damage. I would like to get this vehicle running temporarily to pick up a replacement engine from the jy. I was thinking of jb welding a steel patch plate over the hole in the block, removing both push rods on #6 and disconnecting the fuel injector. Any opinions on this working/not working or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Uhaul will rent a pick up for 20 bucks if you have one nearby. Probably cheaper than the materials to patch up and less chance of a side of the road moment.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:08 PM

Ok thanks guys, I'll nix my plan then and rent a pick up.