Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1987 Jeep Cherokee wont start after wet

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry 1987 Jeep Cherokee wont start after wet

So the other day i went to go and play in the mud a little nothing serious and in the process my jeep sounded as if it bogged down and then shut off, when i tried to start it back up all it would do is crank and crank until my battery died. After about 30 minutes of not trying to start it again it fired right up. So today i went outside with the hose and the jeep on and started from the back trying to recreate this issue wetting from the rear to the front and it stayed on the whole time without turning off, but when i shut it off and tried to restart it the same thing happened it wouldn't start and i had to wait around the same 30 minutes before it started back up. Where do i start to try and find what is getting wet and not allowning it to start back up and just crank and crank?
Old 07-25-2017, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I suggest you do the same test, getting things wet, but a small area at a time. Do one small area, test, do the next small area, test, and so on.

Where to start?

Think about what is electrical that might cause that problem. Your coil comes to mind. Or grounds, in a number of places. In fact, that's not a bad place to start. See my sig, #1.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee

Thank you, i will try this weekend on a smaller scale and try to be patient and then post an update after!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:57 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by JustinMontoya
Thank you, i will try this weekend on a smaller scale and try to be patient and then post an update after!
If it were me, I would test the CPS.

And since it's a Renix Jeep, I would got to www.cruiser54.com and complete tips 1 through 5.
The following users liked this post:
BloNdeChiNeEz (07-11-2023)