Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1987 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 6 Cyl. flooding!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Exclamation 1987 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 6 Cyl. flooding!

Howdy,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'm a bit new here and this seems like the most logical spot for it. I've got a 1987 Jeep Cherokee which was given to us by my wife's Dad. It ran fine for a while, the water pump went out, and the radiator had a big crack in it, so I replaced both.
Just before giving it to us he pressure washed the top half of the engine (?!?), so when we finished working on the water pump and the radiator the engine wouldn't turn over. I found that all of the valve cover bolts were finger tight, as well as the manifold bolts. I figured he must have soaked the engine, but when I got it all tightened up I pulled the drain plug and mostly fuel and oil came leaking out (A LOT). I think with all of our cranking and tinkering we put about half a tank of fuel into the engine...
I peeking into the intake manifold and found that there was fuel in it. So I took a vacuum, sucked the fuel out and kept the vacuum running while I tried to start the engine. This was the first time I've ever turned the key and had the jeep start! After I turned the vacuum off the jeep died.
Next I pulled the injector rail and turned the engine over, every injector sprayed at the same time and never turned off while I cranked. My suspicion is that the injectors are always on, flooding the engine, blocking off any air intake, with absolutely no sequence.
I was told by one of the mechanics that it was the Ignition Control Module. But I've also heard that it could be a sensor (but that was HIGHLY unlikely since the injectors simply don't stay full on if a sensor is bad...???)
Rather then replace every control module I can find on the engine, I was hoping you guys could tell me which part controls the firing sequence of the injectors?
My prognosis was that my father in law doused what ever controls the injector sequence and shorted it...forcing all of them to be on at all times. If I'm making a stupid assumption or something, please let me know...for instance i'm not sure if the injectors need to be seated to fire in sequence, etc.

Thanks a lot!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy 92 xj 4.0 Flooding out plugs wont stay running.Super Rich!

92 Xj 4.0 Flooding out plugs.

Mine is doing the same thing will not start and stay running every once in a while with new plugs it will hit then take off if you keep it a high RPMs then die when letting out!
With cat unhooked blows fire ,get pipes glowing hot with in minuets of running at higher RPMS.
Very rich condition way too rich!

Have changed CPS O2 cap rotor coil, plugs three times.
Fuel pressure is good. Hot spark.Ignition in time with crank.

Like you said! On mine the injectors spray all the time when cranking.

Any help would be appreciated.
Has been setting about three months know.
Don,t want to see it go to junk yard???