Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

15 Quarts of oil!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default 15 Quarts of oil!!!

I recently drover my 91 cherokee laredo from bozeman montana (where i live) to souther colorado for a hunting trip. There and back i went through 15 quarts of oil. Most of it is coming through the airbox and everytime i would shut the jeep off there would be a significant puddle under it. Most of the driving i did was interstate driving at about 75 mph. I have heard of people getting some oil in their air box from a pcv valve going bad, but not to the extent that im having it. My thought is bad rings (205k miles on the engine) increasing the pressure in the crank housing and pushing the oil through. I did plug the hose that goes into the airbox and this caused a spurting of oil from the dip stick tube. Needless to say i quickly reverted it back as id rather drip oil down than spurt it all over the engine compartment. Im hoping there is some fix that i havent thought of that doesnt involve rebuilding the engine. The jeep runs great aside from the massive amount of oil its been going through. Any ideas or comments would be awesome as i need to get this problem nailed down.
Thanks guys!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

interesting...

sounds a little like me to be excessive blow-by when you said it popped the dipstick out after plugging the hose. All engines have blow-by, but too much can cause this.

Best thing to do to rule this out or confirm it is this:

Compression check on all cylinders. disconnect the coil wire, and I would disconnect the fuel injector pigtails as well if it were me. have someone turn the engine over with the compression tool in the spark plug hole. Turn it over 3- 5 times. Make note of the highest pressure, and the pressure it drops back to moments after you are done turning the engine over. Do this for all cylinders, and record the readings.

Also you should do a running compression check. run the engine with everything connected (coil wire and injector pig tails, minus the cylinder you are testing.) have the compression tool inserted in place of the spark plug of the cylinder you are trying to check. Record the reading after running the engine for about 15 seconds.

You want to do all checks when the engine is HOT, so be careful with the hands.

Said tool needed to do this costs about $20. and the procedure takes about an half hour.

You can also check the crank case pressure. Use a vacuum/pressure gauge. plug the hose like you did before, remove the dipstick and use the tool through the dipstick tube. Make sure to seal the area best you can where the tool goes into the dipstick hole opening. Normal pressures for most engines is about 3-5 PSI.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Thanks for the input. I will get ahold of one of those tools and see whats up.