Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

110 volt plug wired into engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99xj 97TJ 96XJ, 87 woody
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 110 volt plug wired into engine?

On my 87 XJ I have a 110v plug wired into the the wire harness above the driver side motor mount. I know a diesel would have this as a engine warmer, but why an XJ? It is hard to start in the winter. I just blame the Renix system.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by Lowes
On my 87 XJ I have a 110v plug wired into the the wire harness above the driver side motor mount. I know a diesel would have this as a engine warmer, but why an XJ? It is hard to start in the winter. I just blame the Renix system.
Engine block heaters are often used on gasoline engines in colder climes as well - either by using a dip heating element in the coolant, or a "stick-on pad" on the oil sump (to heat up the engine oil.)

When I had my old Bug, I went to the trouble to mount a couple of heat lamp sockets in the engine bay to warm up the engine in wintertime, when we expected bitter cold. Engine block heaters can be put on anything that needs it in colder climates, or wherever it can (intermittently) get very cold.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't forget to unplug it before backing out of the garage.
Don't ask.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:31 AM

Year: 1998

maybe its that top secret plug in hybrid, jeep was working on
Old 07-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

What the diagram show is a block heater, it puts a heating element directly into the water jacket in the block. It is the best way to preheat the cylinders.

Here in the heart of Alaska my XJ has a block heater, plus an 100w oil pan heater (to preheat the oil so it will flow at startup), a 1amp fender mounted trickle charger to keep the battery warm and I also have a 60w pan heater on the transmission.

Everytime you start your engine without prewarming at colder than -15 below you take approx 2k miles off the life of the motor, or so say the experts at our local cold climate research station.

Just let the plug hang out the front and tell people you converted it to electric.

Dutch
Old 07-19-2012, 02:14 AM

Year: 1998

[QUOTE=ColdWarrior;1904019]What the diagram show is a block heater, it puts a heating element directly into the water jacket in the block. It is the best way to preheat the cylinders.

Here in the heart of Alaska my XJ has a block heater, plus an 100w oil pan heater (to preheat the oil so it will flow at startup), a 1amp fender mounted trickle charger to keep the battery warm and I also have a 60w pan heater on the transmission.

Everytime you start your engine without prewarming at colder than -15 below you take approx 2k miles off the life of the motor, or so say the experts at our local cold climate research station.

have you ever heard of motorkote? do some research. i know most people consider anything like this stuff snake oil, but i am an over the road semi truck driver. i listen to a trucking channel at night and lots and lots of these drivers swear by this stuff, these are just randon callers they are not advertiseing the product. several claim to have had puntures to there oilpan due to road debris and ran the vehicle with no oil after it drained out while they were driving. supposed to be very good at preventing wear on startup. check it out, it takes 2 oz. for every quart of oil the engine takes. in addition it is added on top of your oil in other words yyou dont leave room for it, it goes into a completely full sump
Old 07-19-2012, 06:49 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by kennzz05
maybe its that top secret plug in hybrid, jeep was working on
Don't let that info out. Al Gore will take credit for it.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by ColdWarrior
What the diagram show is a block heater, it puts a heating element directly into the water jacket in the block. It is the best way to preheat the cylinders.

Just let the plug hang out the front and tell people you converted it to electric.

Dutch
Dutch: Completely off topic but it's been bugging me. The word CHOSEN is spelled incorrectly in your signature.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:52 AM

If everything is up to snuff, your Renix should not be hard starting when cold. I see 0* here in winter and both my Renix Jeeps fire up same as summer.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:21 AM

The Jeep is hard to start in the winter. This past winter I brought it in and messed with CPS. I had thread just on that. I need to recheck it. It was at 4v after drilling it out moving it closer to the fly wheel.
I know I need 5V, but I cant drill it out much more. Could 1v make it rough idle? It still takes a long time to crank over when first started.

I like to make my offroad toys simple. Having and extra 110v cord looked odd. I know you can put an engine block heater on almost anything. Did Jeep ever have the stock option? It connects right into the harness.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Yes, was a factory option
Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 AM

The Jeep is hard to start in the winter. This past winter I brought it in and messed with CPS. I had thread just on that. I need to recheck it. It was at 4v after drilling it out moving it closer to the fly wheel.
I know I need 5V, but I cant drill it out much more. Could 1v make it rough idle? It still takes a long time to crank over when first started.

I like to make my offroad toys simple. Having and extra 110v cord looked odd. I know you can put an engine block heater on almost anything. Did Jeep ever have the stock option? It connects right into the harness.
CPS isn't your problem involving the rough idle.
Vacuum leaks are though, in the form of rotten CCV hoses, leaks in the hose from the throttle body to the MAP sensor and loose intake manifold bolts.

Last full tune-up? Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor?
Throttle body cleaned?
Ever refresh your grounds?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
CPS isn't your problem involving the rough idle.
Vacuum leaks are though, in the form of rotten CCV hoses, leaks in the hose from the throttle body to the MAP sensor and loose intake manifold bolts.

Last full tune-up? Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor?
Throttle body cleaned?
Ever refresh your grounds?
I have done the plugs wires. I have not done the cap and rotor
I will clean the throttle body
I have refreshed the grounds. Cleaned the 101 connector.
This will be my next project to look into. A lot of reading and lot cleaning.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Dutch: Completely off topic but it's been bugging me. The word CHOSEN is spelled incorrectly in your signature.
DOH!!

Thanks, fixed.

Quick Reply: 110 volt plug wired into engine?