Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

00 intake install + bored tb ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 00 intake install + bored tb ??

Ok so im thinking about installing a 00 intake manifold and a 60mm bored tb and also an apn header. My question is what all will i have to do to get the intake and the header installed? Iv heard that you have to move the pwrsteering pump and that you have to grind some off the header to get both of them to fit......can someone please shed some light on this for me?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

what year is this going on?

you need a 96+ power steering bracket, pulley, and adjuster, and a 96+ power steering pulley plus a 96+ serpentine

then drill out the threads in the 3 bolt bosses on your power steering pump so you can put the 96+ bolts through to the new manifold

what kind of header are you using? a borla header is not directly compatible with this intake. the number 5 block to collector tube contacts the header and a small dent needs to be put on that tube, then you need to (carefully) shave the manifold right where that tube is.

use your current fuel rail, and you'll have to rework your vacuum and PCV valves a little bit.

and why 60mm? you can go to 62mm. oh, don't bother putting a TB spacer on it...you've already doubled the volume of the intake by upgrading, and a TB spacer will make zero difference.

-Pat
Old 11-03-2009, 07:28 PM

Thanks,. as i stated its a 96 year model...so does that mean that i dont have to bother with buying all that stuff for the power steering?? Also the header im looking at is a apn...any additional advise??
Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

You may want to install a little bigger lift cam to take advantage of all of that extra air you will be moving. You can shuv more air in but, if you have a stock cam you really get all the improved performance you can from just a cone filter and intake and a header. There is a real good story in JP Magazine this month about what works and doesn't work to improve performance on a Jeep 4.0 Litre engine. It stopped me from buying a lot of un needed performance goodies that I was going to buy.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

you're good to go on the steering assembly.

as far as the header goes, you're looing at buying one for a 2000...as long as it's not a dual header. it will be easier to get what it's made for than to retrofit.

that said, IIRC there shouldn't be any issues with the apn header. I'll ask a guy on comancheclub who builds strokers what is compatible.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
You may want to install a little bigger lift cam to take advantage of all of that extra air you will be moving. You can shuv more air in but, if you have a stock cam you really get all the improved performance you can from just a cone filter and intake and a header. There is a real good story in JP Magazine this month about what works and doesn't work to improve performance on a Jeep 4.0 Litre engine. It stopped me from buying a lot of un needed performance goodies that I was going to buy.

the intake will help just as much as a performance intake tube and filter...I HATE cone filters.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

why do you hate cone filters?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

they let in too much water lol. they take constant cleaning etc. and they don't actually filter out much, if any, of the incoming air.

anyways, this is from hornbrod over on comancheclub, who is also a guru on strokers.com:
I have a Mike Leach header (can't get them anymore) and there are no clearance problems. The APN is similar to the Mike Leach. There are reports on the Strokers.com forum that guys have used them w. the 99+ intake and they work well. The only header I've heard problems with is the Borla, and you know about those. Kolak is the design guru on stroker headers and is the best guy to ask.

so, the APN header should work. I'd talk to nick kolak...pm me for his email address if you'd like it.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Ok so now im cunfussed....does the fact that mines a 96 mean that the 00 intake will just bolt right up with no mods?1
Old 11-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
Hey, I'm curous where I can find this article. Im looking on the JP website but cant seem to find it. What kind of parts did the articel address?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Imabodybuilder
Ok so now im cunfussed....does the fact that mines a 96 mean that the 00 intake will just bolt right up with no mods?1

bump for an answer to my question!
Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

sorry, I'm working nights right now so slept all day.

yes, the intake will bolt right up...but the fuel rail won't work with your fuel lines etc.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:24 PM

so does that mean that i need a fuel rail from an 00, also will my stock injectors work with an 00 fuel rail? One more thing...for my apn header, do i need one from a 96 or an 00, because my xj is a 96..
Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

use all the 96 parts on the 00 intake. you need all 96, the 00 fuel rail and TB won't work with the 96
Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: Used engine just put in less than 79kmiles onit jeepersCreepers 60mm TB, '99-'01 intake, BorlaHeader

I am running 99-01 intake and 60mm TB and a borla header. I can say there is a power increase. But I still need to get 4.10 gears to really feel the differance. There is a really good wright up about this at this site. www.go.jeep-xj.info/ Also If u install a mild RV cam it might b a bit much for a autotrany(per my engine builder).
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 00 intake install + bored tb ??