CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

Website layout?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Website layout?

It was fine for the last week or so when it was revamped as the only difference i could see was the coloring and a couple icons for Twitter, etc. I didnt mind it. But today, the blue "Reply" icon that used to show up at the bottom of the last thread was gone. It was easy to spot as it was. Now its only at the top, so one has to scroll back to the top of the page. Didnt seem like it was thought thru very well. Then i noticed the little toolbar at the bottom with "Quick Replay" and "Reply", which i didnt even see right away. Then i noticed there are two "Quick Reply" at the bottom. One comes up with its own message box as usual, at the bottom of the thread, and the 2nd in the little toolbar at the bottom of the page. Do we really need two in the same place? Is the "Jump to Forum" at the bottom really needed? It doesnt seem to make navigation any faster.

Are the forums becoming a compromise between desktop users and mobile? For what its worth, when Autoguide started buying all the forums they could (i pray CF never becomes one of them), they started doing the same thing and the forums were overloaded with doubles, and even triples of the exact same link, all on the same page, and in the same place, making most of them redundant. It doesnt look streamlined at all.

When the page has been scrolled such that the "Jeep Cherokee Forum > CF Announcments & Suggestions > CF Suggestions & Questions" links appear maybe 1-2" from the top of the page, A 2nd set appears just above them in a little box, so you have two identical links for each right over top of the others. Pointless. Heres the strange thing about that. Sometimes this doesnt happen and the 2nd set of identical links doesnt show up.

Another observation was the related threads that shows up at the bottom of the thread as a thread and not a link, which, is confusing. I scrolled to the bottom using the slider at the side of the page to see how eaisly it could be overlooked and didnt even notice the thread that appeared was a different thread. This left me wondering why the thread i was reading that was dated 2018 suddenly read 2014. Needless to say, i was confused. This may have looked good on paper, but the execution is poor. But then again, im no programmer so...

I dont mind change, but sometimes things are better left as they were, or thought thru a bit more.

Another issue that bugs me is when you want to post pictures. They automatically end up in the User CP. I couldnt find a way to stop this. Is there one? Unless im missing something, it appears to be creating an album when i dont even have it set up for it. Also, when posting multiple links to pictures via copy and paste, some images dont show up. They show up as a link with the usual [img] [/img], but no picture. The rest post no problem.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Apparently i cant edit this thread? It shows up as a blank message box. ??? As a test i tried quoting it. Still blank. ???

I can edit this message, but not the other. It still shows a blank message box.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 08-02-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Apparently they are playing with the script. Probably my fault. But time will tell if it becomes better or worse. Most times it becomes worse just because someone is trying to justify a position of employment.

It's an age old process of unproductive representation. Some things need to be fixed and other things need to be left alone. But it never works this way.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Apparently they are playing with the script. Probably my fault. But time will tell if it becomes better or worse. Most times it becomes worse just because someone is trying to justify a position of employment.

It's an age old process of unproductive representation. Some things need to be fixed and other things need to be left alone. But it never works this way.
I wish it was left alone. That jarring in your face "here is how you forum" was very intrusive.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by firebane
I wish it was left alone. That jarring in your face "here is how you forum" was very intrusive.
See... this is what I am talking about. I made mention about my curiosity of why this particular script is so outdated. Yet changes like that are being made and the script version is still outdated.

There are many reasons why one would not want to update a script and they are completely understandable. Sometimes it throws the whole thing in a loop because of additional plugins that are now considered depreciated by the newer version. But it just needs fine tuning and not an "in your face" rebuild without any real reason for it...

Who is doing this? Please step up and stop being better than us. A suggestion box is your best friend if you truly care about this site. If not then hand it off to one of the half dozen here who can do it right.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

Sounds familair lol. We got that at work everyday. Its not computer related, but the outcome is the same. As hinted at in my opening thread with Autoguide, sooo many things that didnt need "fixed" were stirred by every cook in the kitchen, it seemed, and needless to say it was a mess. In everyway possible. I agree completely that if it isnt broke, dont fix it. Only fix whats broken, leave the rest alone. I do hope, and pray, that CF doesnt follow the same path as Autoguide.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Sounds familair lol. We got that at work everyday. Its not computer related, but the outcome is the same. As hinted at in my opening thread with Autoguide, sooo many things that didnt need "fixed" were stirred by every cook in the kitchen, it seemed, and needless to say it was a mess. In everyway possible. I agree completely that if it isnt broke, dont fix it. Only fix whats broken, leave the rest alone. I do hope, and pray, that CF doesnt follow the same path as Autoguide.
You should see some of the script code for different platforms, Like Drupal for example. The code has been screwed with by so many different developers over the years it is a total wreck. And these guys leave personal notes in the code lines every time they screw with it. It can be quite entertaining to read some of those. I have even seen outright arguments between two developers in script code a few times. Lol The script passes over all these as it reads the code and loads, but they still clutter it up to load slower because it is still taking time to read all this crap even though it affects nothing.

But the Vbulletin script here is pretty clean...

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 08-03-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:55 PM
CF Veteran

I dont mean to step on any toes here, but some of whats been done with the update doesnt make sense. So i took some screenshots to point some of them out. Constructive criticism. Like them, hate them, whatever.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:00 AM
CF Veteran

Old 08-04-2018, 05:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

For feedback re changes to the forum.....

fb97xj1 and bugout have fairly well nailed it, so I shan't repeat. Someone has fixed what was not broken.

In the thread related to CFforum stickers, there is mention of the corporate need to make money. Fixing what is not broke......?

From my own sitting with my coffee user standpoint: formerly this forum worked well, clean smooth simple, did not overload the browser with things to do. Now it slows my old computer right down, laptop fan runs almost continuous, battery life cut in half. There is less screen area available for content with this useless page jump bar at the bottom and the annoying pop down one at the top.

Ads in the middle of the thread? Smells like a certain other jeepforum that I shall not mention. There are reasons I don't go there and seems some of those reasons are showing up here.......

Wish I could be more articulate but computer is bogging down to much...
Tim
Old 08-04-2018, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

i agree. this forum was great before. very easy to navigate and read. this new format sucks. it is much slower and more difficult to use. sometimes when i’m simply trying to scroll up or down in one thread it does this endless scroll thing where i never find the top or bottom of it. it has also changed the thread i was viewing altogether by scrolling up/down? wtf?

bring back the old format, this one is a pain in the ***.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a fan of infinite scroll or whatever it's called.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wizardpc
Not a fan of infinite scroll or whatever it's called.
I was given a solution for that by IB Nolan. Go to your User CP to disable it. Go to Setting & Options > Edit Options. Scroll down to the Thread Display Options. I disabled it and the forum was back to normal. I also disabled the Related Threads option. Its not needed anway as a Related Threads list already exists. All the additional Related Threads option does is opens the first related thread in the list for you, rather than you having to click it manually to open it, meaning its loading along with the thread youre already reading.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

I have to agree with @fb97xj1 with his points about the additional bars.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks fb, that made viewing much easier.

Quick Reply: Website layout?