CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

for sale section changes

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default for sale section changes

think its a great idea, the new organized for sale section

but if possible i think it would be kinda cool if you made the old "for sale" section display all posts made in the new sections..

you could make it to where the for sale section doesnt have a "post new ad" button, but when you post in another more specific category it goes there as well.

this would make it to where you achieve the organization and ability for users to search more specifically, but also still be able to easily browse everything at once so we dont have to go back and forth between multiple categories to see everything new for sale.

also would make it easier to regulate all for sale ads it seems? cuz you guys wouldnt have to go back and forth either.

just a thought i felt worthy of sharing
you guys will make the best decision tho
Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

The old forsale area will be phased out. I think OKC has already locked it to new threads.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

That's farely complex and also could cause more confusion. There's enough confusion over locking the old For Sale section. I think an index or post pool area may sound cool on paper but it keeps us in the old mindset and makes finding things much more difficult.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
That's farely complex and also could cause more confusion. There's enough confusion over locking the old For Sale section. I think an index or post pool area may sound cool on paper but it keeps us in the old mindset and makes finding things much more difficult.
i dont think its as confusing as i maybe explained it, but ok.

and it seems like it would make it easier for people
not more difficult.

it would make it to where the person with slow interenet connection ( ME haha ) can come to the site and in 1 click be on a page and see all the ads.
i couldnt post a new ad there if i wanted to post a new ad id have to go to the section for it. ie post an engine in the engine section a car in the car section.

and then for the people with better internet connections who want to spend 20 30 min clicking back and forth to see all the ads in a more organized form.. well they can.

also im sure if this was setup you could easily tell which method the users preffered.. say your getting 1000 people looking in the for sale section and only 500 people looking at all the other sections combined.. well then youll know that the general public has made it mind to liking the unorganized see all for sale section better then the new organized system which requires a lot of screen loading.

idk how difficult or how costly these types of changes would be, but i do know ive seen the exact setup im talking about working very very well on another forum i use.

and again just thoughts. i apologize if they come off different.
you guys run the place
Old 07-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 Renix

Take another point, i don't care, this new for sale section is ghey.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Mike my friend your attitude has now landed yourself on a time out. Grow up or leave.

Last edited by okcjeeper; 07-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Where would an alternator go? Does the engines/tranny/t-case section include everything in the engine bay? I like the organization and they should be pretty self-explanatory but maybe some guidelines would help...
Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 PM

I would put that under Misc
Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

I am thinking the new sections in the For Sale area need some serious reconsideration. As I mentioned there seems to be no clear area to put basic Jeep parts. I think this is becoming clear as no one has posted any regular parts for sale (Which don't fall into one of the obvious catagories) since the changes (Maybe people not sure where to put them?) and the number of people "viewing" the For Sale sections is way down when I look at that. Parts like, starters, alternators, intake manifolds, injectors, heads, etc don't fall into any of the avaliable choices and clearly are not "accessories" and the "Miscellaneous" area seems more suited to what it is getting, stickers, non-jeep parts, tools, etc. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-14-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by Programbo
I am thinking the new sections in the For Sale area need some serious reconsideration. As I mentioned there seems to be no clear area to put basic Jeep parts. I think this is becoming clear as no one has posted any regular parts for sale (Which don't fall into one of the obvious catagories) since the changes (Maybe people not sure where to put them?) and the number of people "viewing" the For Sale sections is way down when I look at that. Parts like, starters, alternators, intake manifolds, injectors, heads, etc don't fall into any of the avaliable choices and clearly are not "accessories" and the "Miscellaneous" area seems more suited to what it is getting, stickers, non-jeep parts, tools, etc. Just my 2 cents
I feel the same way as above. Separating out whole vehicles from parts makes sense but having too many subcategories makes it really hard to post multiple items. If you want to sell interior parts, a starter, rims, horn, etc you would have to make 4 posts. As a user, the title of the post should have a brief description of what is for sale "87 Door handles and interior parts". I think you will end up with the MISC folder becoming the main folder for most people. I'm on multiple forums for other vehicles and they don't sub-categorize to this extent for sellers.
Can you change back?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Originally Posted by 67 GMC
Can you change back?
Maybe not change back..But just finish what was started..I would add just ONE MORE catagory. One for miscellaneous PARTS. There is a "Misc" catagory but..Meh..Whatever
Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

TTT
Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 AM

back to what i said when i started the thread.

they dont need to switch back.
but make it to where all posts can be viewed in one catagory if desired. or few in seperate catagories if desired.

that would bring view counts up IMO
and make it easier to view everything.

but then again no one has agreed with me yet so maybe im wrong.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 96rokee
back to what i said when i started the thread.

they dont need to switch back.
but make it to where all posts can be viewed in one catagory if desired. or few in seperate catagories if desired.

that would bring view counts up IMO
and make it easier to view everything.

but then again no one has agreed with me yet so maybe im wrong.
I agree. I like it like that, but that may be a software issue more so than an organization issue. I like Jeepforum's way of going to classifieds. I may not exactly be looking for something but when I look at them overall I'll find something I wasn't really looking for.

I mean i could just take a look at each section here so it's not really that big of a deal, just a nice feature to have. I like where our for sale section is going and it'll probably change again one day as we learn more. Keep u p the good work!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM

I will add a misc parts section. That way if the part doesn't fall under one of the existing ie it's not an engine part or a suspension or steering part there is a place for it.

As for being able to view all posts in one section that won't work. We split them out or a reason. Having a single section with all for sale posts was cluttered and even harder to find things. It made no sense at all. Now if you need steering parts you can look in steering. Instead of looking through hundreds of posts that may have a subject that actually related to the item for sale.

When you are dealing with forum software outside of a custom app like another jeep site has you are limited. We have to do things within the confines of what the software will do.

Last edited by okcjeeper; 07-23-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: for sale section changes