CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

question for the Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default question for the Mods

I've just been reading a thread where a pretty hot argument broke out over some helpful information that was given to the original poster by the moderator. I actually got into a similar argument the other day over my build post. I know the mods have a job to do on here and I respect that. My question is why don't they just PM us in a professional manner and let us know what we're doing wrong and how we can fix it instead of making us feel stupid in front of the whole class. I'm not trying to start anything please. Just offering a suggestion. At least this way if an argument breaks out, its private. Now granted I do enjoy a good internet fight just as much as the next guy. I just think that we should keep this professional. Now if you head guys are doing this to inform other readers of what not to do, I can totally understand that too. Just curious as to your side of this. Again I'm just asking a question, not trying to stir up anything.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Year: 2k

I thought the same thing as well but I feel that doing it in public informs more people. Not everyone reads the forum stickies.

Just a nobody's opinion.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Hey thats good enough for me. It just seems that the mods could be a little more tactful in their hand slapping. From the ones i've read, they come off as more rude than helpful. Maybe its just me. If your going to be nice and informative then by all means post it, but if its gonna go the other direction please PM me so if I take offence (sp?) I don't look like jerk in front of everyone. I've learned its pretty hard to know your tone of voice by reading your words.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM

And if you're referring to the thread in the for sale section I would have to say that the mod was clear and tasteful in his attempt to inform the OP that his post lacked required info. The OP was at fault for not taking said advice and ran off with it taking it to a whole other level.

The moderators are people just like us and I'm sure if you had to deal with the same arrogance and lack of manners you would be just as upset and " snappy" as they sometimes get.

This is in no means an attack on you or your post and I would just like for you to know that this is just my own opinion.

Last edited by Modestmike; 02-21-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Thats a perfect example of what i'm talking about.

"and we need item location in original post... im sure you know to read the rules by now... lol... thanks"

See if he would've just left it alone after the first statement it would've been nice and informative but then he had to cross the line and it came off smart###. I mean why did he have to try and make the OP look stupid. You can't say something like that then throw on a "LOL and thanks" to make it better.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM

I think he was referring to the amount of posts that OP has made. His time here on the forum should indicate that he is aware f the rules here on the forum. I don't think he was out of line at all with that statement. It will say it got out of hand shortly after that with the OP being a smart*** about it. Rules are rules friend.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Modestmike
The OP was at fault for not taking said advice and ran off with it taking it to a whole other level.
And I totally agree with you on this. That guy REALLY flipped on that thread. And its cool man, I wanted your opinion. Thats why i started this thread. Just curious how others felt on this.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:50 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Many times the mods will come across posts such as this and make simple notes of the rules. The offending member takes it personal and takes it to a new level. At that point you can't expect them to sit back and be all polite when they are being attacked for enforcing a rule. In the thread in question the member decided along with another it was ok to blatantly attack the said mod. I probably would have told them member to f off and where he could go. Would it have been the right thing well that depends on whose perspective?

Our standard practice is to PM the members or in this case leave a simple note. That last statement could have been taken light hearted as it was intended or the other direction it was taken. One major flaw in forums you cannot impart tone or mood in text it's just not gonna happen. Everyone will interpret it in their own way and that could depend on their current mood. It happens, mistakes happen that's life.

Something many members don't realize is as staff we are tasked with enforcing the site rules. Not every member agrees with the rules so we are faced with confrontation on many occasions. It sucks it happens and that's life. Sometimes we will snap why because we've been dealing with a whole lot of asshats lately. We've had other site staff come on and cause issues just for the sake of causing trouble. We've had members cause issues just for some holy quest to prove something. We've taken a whole lot of heat lately and it's not a whole lot of fun. Sometimes the work aspect takes the fun out of the forum and we come off as well rude, arrogant and so on.

Bottom line we do our best to address each issue appropriately. We try to do it in a professional manor. We try to consider the members intent which means we have to often interpret what they are trying to do or say. So yes sometimes we will make mistakes it's gonig to happen. We're only human ya know?? All we ask from members is understanding and if you feel you were treated incorrectly all I ask is to drop me a PM so that I can address it. If that means talking to the staff and coming up with a better way to handle it then we will. Trust me anytime major issues come up and mistakes are made we get together and discuss what would have and would be a better way to handle it. We do learn from our mistake.

One thing I will never tolerate on this site is members attacking the staff in any form. As I won't allow mods to attack members. Trust me I have made my share of mistakes, we all have. Life is a never ending learning process and well this forum is just another cycle in lifes learning.

Anjoy.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM

Hey that makes sense and I promise i could not have your job. I can loose my temper pretty quickly as two members have seen, and I still feel bad about that. I just wanted to get this out in the air and hear a mods point of view. Thanks for the input.