CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

Forum topics

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Forum topics

I enjoy that this forum has a lot of activity, however it seems like 98.48% of the threads are asking for help due to an issue. I am fine with that as we all need to help each other with repair topics. But 99.9% of those same issues have been covered in previous topics, yet people don't bother to search. Meanwhile those of us that want to talk about the FUN side of owning a Jeep have our threads buried behind all the "help me" threads. I just wish the "help me" people would learn to use the search function and the people that have fun in their Jeeps would take the time to post stories, pictures, and/or videos, preferably all of those.

Here is a screen shot from tonight. Almost all cries for help and not much in the way of FUN. I sure hope the members here realize that keeping a forum popular means keeping it entertaining and.... FUN!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by StealthyMcStealth
I enjoy that this forum has a lot of activity, however it seems like 98.48% of the threads are asking for help due to an issue. I am fine with that as we all need to help each other with repair topics. But 99.9% of those same issues have been covered in previous topics, yet people don't bother to search. Meanwhile those of us that want to talk about the FUN side of owning a Jeep have our threads buried behind all the "help me" threads. I just wish the "help me" people would learn to use the search function and the people that have fun in their Jeeps would take the time to post stories, pictures, and/or videos, preferably all of those.

Here is a screen shot from tonight. Almost all cries for help and not much in the way of FUN. I sure hope the members here realize that keeping a forum popular means keeping it entertaining and.... FUN!
well, I mean that's oem tech. That's the most popular section. This forum is first and foremost to help others imo. Cherokee chat and off topic usually have the fun discussions haha.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

Originally Posted by Martlor13
well, I mean that's oem tech. That's the most popular section. This forum is first and foremost to help others imo. Cherokee chat and off topic usually have the fun discussions haha.
I always just click on "New Posts" so that screen shot is of the most recent posts in all sections.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

I always just click on "New Posts" so that screen shot is of the most recent posts in all sections.
yeah me to...But oem tech is the most popular section so it always has the most new posts...it is what it is at this point haha. Plus, the search function here isn't the best.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Even in off topic there are a bunch of grouches. It seems there is an image of grouchiness to maintain around here. lol
Old 01-24-2018, 08:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

If you want fun then become a CF Supporter for the forum. It opens a few new doors
Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
If you want fun then become a CF Supporter for the forum. It opens a few new doors
I was just being sarcastic and jesting a bit. But that's what I keep hearing... Friends, respect and common courtesy can be purchased.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Ah Bugout I didn't even see your post sir. Those weren't the doors I was referring to though lol.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Ah Bugout I didn't even see your post sir. Those weren't the doors I was referring to though lol.
I knew which doors you were referring to. Every business has a public lobby and a back room.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I enjoy that this forum has a lot of activity, however it seems like 98.48% of the threads are asking for help due to an issue.
Martlor's right. The tech sections are for tech questions, the majority of which originate with a problem. I think your problem is that your expectations are unrealistic.

You wouldn't walk into the auto parts store and say, "All these people are here for auto parts! Why aren't there any people here just looking for fun?"

Or hell, maybe you would. I dunno. But that would mean the problem is yours.

But 99.9% of those same issues have been covered in previous topics, yet people don't bother to search.
There are several reasons for that:

The site's built-in search function sucks. I mean, really, it sucks. If you don't know how to use the Google site: tag to search this site instead, it will give you completely irrelevant results, and you'll never actually find the answer to your question.

Many times if you do manage to find someone discussing the same issue you're having, you won't actually find an answer. Either there will be contradictory or confusing advice, or the poster with the problem never returns to tell us what worked.

Sometimes the information you find is outdated. That's not as much of a problem as these vehicles age as it once was, but it still happens.

It's often just quicker and easier to post a new question. There's really not an incentive to waste time digging through old posts if you can get the answer quickly.

Almost all cries for help and not much in the way of FUN. I sure hope the members here realize that keeping a forum popular means keeping it entertaining and.... FUN!
I've seen what Jeep people consider "fun." Get on Facebook and join Club XJ for a few hours. Personally I'd prefer this place remain a little more mature.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Martlor's right. The tech sections are for tech questions, the majority of which originate with a problem. I think your problem is that your expectations are unrealistic.

You wouldn't walk into the auto parts store and say, "All these people are here for auto parts! Why aren't there any people here just looking for fun?"

Or hell, maybe you would. I dunno. But that would mean the problem is yours.
I'm not sure that's what he meant... I know every time I go in the parts store there is an open character making the whole place bust up laughing... and his topic has absolutely nothing to do with automobiles or parts. It turns into one of those trips to the parts store to remember and you hope it happens again because it made everyone's day and it was fun. I think it's OK to buy auto parts and have fun too, only an old grumpy fuddy duddy would argue with that. lol
Old 01-24-2018, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
I'm not sure that's what he meant... I know every time I go in the parts store there is an open character making the whole place bust up laughing... and his topic has absolutely nothing to do with automobiles or parts. It turns into one of those trips to the parts store to remember and you hope it happens again because it made everyone's day and it was fun. I think it's OK to buy auto parts and have fun too, only an old grumpy fuddy duddy would argue with that. lol
but that happens here too imo. Alot of the help threads get fun banter as well as some help.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

but that happens here too imo. Alot of the help threads get fun banter as well as some help.
And that's how it should be. Life is already too serious without adding more seriousness to it in a simple auto forum. Just going to make our hair fall out...
Old 01-24-2018, 08:38 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

So after reading all the posts here, I'll respond.

You want fun, go to chat and off topic, that's where we keep it lighthearted. As for the questions being asked, even repeatedly, now you know what we as mods go through on a daily basis. We move so many posts on a daily, it's not even funny, and seeing the same questions over and over, well, that's just the nature of the beast...everyone thinks they're the only one that's ever had that problem. Nobody searches, they mostly just want an instant answer. I will agree with shaky, the search function in-site sucks sweaty man *****. I will also agree that a lot of the core users here do make jokes in thread, but a lot of times, it's taken as a diss, and people get butthurt. No one gets sarcasm anymore and especially on the internet, people fail to read between the lines on some ****. That said, we try to keep it informative, on topic, and lighthearted all at once, but perception is reality. Not everyone gets it.
You have broken the main rule of Fight Club, LMAO
Old 01-25-2018, 05:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by roninofako
You have broken the main rule of Fight Club, LMAO
Yea and he doesnt post many memes anymore. 2 strikes.

Quick Reply: Forum topics