CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

Chatbox?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Chatbox?

this is the first forum i've been too that doesnt have a chatbox,shoutbox...
any reason why?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

I think lack of moderation within the chatbox may be a concern. I think this has come up a time or two before.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:10 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Shoutboxes can be moderated if there is one built for the forum software used and will integrate. The core issue with a shoutbox is it is really nothing more then a PM that everyone sees. This can be acheived via off topic, visitor messages and such. So really there is no real use for a shoutbox but one more area to manage and look at.

Chat, well this is a whole other animal. There really are no chat apps that will integrate properly with the forum softwares permissions system. This means usename can't be regulated or manages, can't moderate so pretty much anyone can do anything, and it's a major hassle since you have to go outsdie of the forum to use it, tech questions aren't documented for future reference an the list could go on. So basically that's not going to happen at all.

I hope that explains basically why we do not have either. On some sites it works on others it doesn't. I have ran a couple other sites over the years and only 1 used a shoutbox or chatbox. It fit well within the site model and worked ok. For a tech type site such as CF it's just not practical.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

just use the refresh button lol
Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Chat box's take away from posting. I know of websites that the main user's only use the chat and noone posts anymore, really hurts a website more than enhances it.