CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

CF rules and regs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default CF rules and regs.

I have been here for a little while now and I am not trying to be a jerk or stir up trouble or any thing like that.

That being said I have read through the rules of the site and the various section rules as well. A few days ago while in an off topic thread a mod notified a few other members to not ask or post tech related things in the off topic section. I am not naming names and am not calling anyone out, I do like and enjoy everyone's company here and the wealth of knowledge that is available here. I was completely unaware that there was an issue with people talking about a various subject in whatever thread or section. To me it was a couple people just talking about various things and it came up. I myself have asked some tech related questions and had some tech related conversations what I didn't feel warranted opening a whole new thread about it.

I understand the Mod's run the site and decide what goes and what does not and that is fine by me. I have no problem with that. However I do not feel anyone should be given a "warning" on something that is not clearly stated as a rule. Just because it has been talked about, discussed, thought of or otherwise understood does not mean every member is aware of it. I also understand the the mod's are doing their job and doing what they can to keep this a safe fun and friendly site for everyone to enjoy and I appreciate their work.

This is a public forum where reading and typing is the only form of communication between mods and members. If it is not clearly stated in the rules how do you expect someone to understand an unwritten "understood or implied" rule?

I also understand that rules are flexible and can be interpreted in different ways by different people and that you cannot monitor every single post and every single member. But if the mods wish for people to not have tech discussions in an off topic area write it up and stick it in the rules. Even if no one reads it the information is still there and available.

Currently there is a post in the tech section that is clearly not tech and is violating the "no bumping" rule of the forum. I understand that thread is meant to make a point to members posting the same question over and over about the topic and honestly I agree with what is said in the content of that particular post and that questions like the ones mentioned in that post should be somewhere else on the forum.

Again I am not here trying to chastise someone or cause trouble or anything like that but I would expect that if someone is to abide by the rules of the forum then they should be clearly written somewhere to be read.

Thank you for your time, and dedication to this forum, all the knowledge here is incredible and the kindness of the members astounding!

Peace to all.

- Newxjaddict
Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Me personally I feel that Off-Topic is just that. I am not going to give a warning to anyone without a few PM's first. We do like to keep tech in tech but I personally think of OFF-topic as anything goes place. (except for-sale posts).

If I see threads started with tech there I will move it to its appropriate place. But a warning that is a lil harsh.

As far as my Tech Bumping thread. This is a trial since Over the last month I have moved about 200 threads out of the tech section. You can't just stick a thread and expect people to read it!

Wow 2300 posts in 3 months.

Remember we run this site in our OFF TIME. We are not paid we are just jeep enthusiast that wanted to bring a more family friendly atmosphere to the Jeep Community.

I do agree the Rules need more working and a more set in stone feel. But that is the Admins Jobs.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

This thread needs to be exhumed.
I do agree the Rules need more working and a more set in stone feel. But that is the Admins Jobs.
At what point is the working on the rules to be more clear? Have there been changes since this post and if, were they reported?
I am sick of being persecuted for things that aren't against the written rules, sick of people telling me to read the rules when i have a printed page sticked to my monitor.
Again:
If it is not clearly stated in the rules how do you expect someone to understand an unwritten "understood or implied" rule?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
Me personally I feel that Off-Topic is just that. I am not going to give a warning to anyone without a few PM's first. We do like to keep tech in tech but I personally think of OFF-topic as anything goes place. (except for-sale posts).

If I see threads started with tech there I will move it to its appropriate place. But a warning that is a lil harsh.

Remember we run this site in our OFF TIME. We are not paid we are just jeep enthusiast that wanted to bring a more family friendly atmosphere to the Jeep Community.

Originally Posted by fantic238
This thread needs to be exhumed.

At what point is the working on the rules to be more clear? Have there been changes since this post and if, were they reported?
I am sick of being persecuted for things that aren't against the written rules, sick of people telling me to read the rules when i have a printed page sticked to my monitor.
Again:
I was off on vacation when this thread was started and just saw the most recent post. Have any Rules/Policy changes taken place that I'm unaware of? I'd like to know if I missed something important.
Dan
Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I also wanted to say something. I haven't been on here a lot lately. I have been trying to not spend as much time posting on forums. Lately though, this site seems to really be cracking down on minor issues. Whether it being for sale threads over minor bumping or no posting craigslist adds. I know they are the rules, but at what point is it to be to pushy? Im not pointing out any names, it just seems like there is a lot of unnecessary strict enforcement over minor details. I know the mods had a "crap" storm to deal with, with the whole COTM thing. That warranted a lot of attention and was BS on the two runners. But is there another reason for the crack down on other small rules? Or am I just noticing it a lot more?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:31 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

In some cases yes there will be occasions where we will crack down when things start getting way out of hand. We go through spurts and will get new members and some members will try to push the envelope and test the waters of authority. That's when things will get cracked down on a little more. Also many folks as of late seem to think the rules don't apply or that they can step over that line so to speak more often then normal. Bottom line we have rules for a reason and yes sometimes the decisions might seem overly picky and issues might seem minor. It happens and it will happen on occasion as a reminder we do have rules that needs to be followed.

In the for sale area I went through a couple posts that are way out of the lines of the rules and yes I made a statement of fix it or I close it. The for sale are to me there are a few key bits of info that every post should have and they are location or zip of item, price or make offer statement, completely description and in many cases pics of item. My reasoning is this makes it easier for the buyers to know the basic info they need to make a rational purchasing decision. In my opinion that's to much to ask and I don't see it has a hard route to follow. To some it may seem picky well life it tough and if you want to sell on this site follow the rules.

Same goes with posting. When you get a new job or go somewhere new you generally find out what the rules are and what is expected. You follow them or in some cases you aren't allowed back. You also don't go into someone elses house and disrespect their rules and expectations unless you don't want to be invited back. This falls in how you treat members. cussing, following the rules and basic respect of others. If you come into my house and you don't respect my rules and how I expect folks to act I don't invite you back it's that simple.

This all may seem harsh and picky but well it's how it is. I may be a tad jaded anymore and such but I expect adults to act like mature adults not like juveniles. I want everyone on the site to have fun and enjoy the site but not at the expense of acting like children and being rude and disrespectful to others.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 AM
CF Veteran

That's as it should be and I can live with and respect that. I just didn't know, and couldn't find where, if any rules had been added or changed. Since they apparently haven't I'll just assume that some members don't bother, or don't want to read or go by the rules. IMO
Have a Great Day y'all!
Dan
Old 03-12-2010, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

I don't even post in the for sale area i just want to know if there is someone working on making the rules more clear and with what effort since this thread started.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:40 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

Well let's see we post it the rules at the top of every forum area, areas that have area specific rules have those at the top. What more can we do?? I can't force people to read them, see them or anything else. I can try to educate them and then we run into the idiots who seem to think they are above the rules or try to question the rules as to why we have them. We tried to write the rules so they covered a broad area and are more of a guideline then a hard coded set of specific rules for every situation. Our rules are broad and meant to be guidelines.

At the end of the day we have the rules posted in plain site yet most seem to have no clue they are there. We the staff have to interpret those rules and unfortunately the final interpretation falls on my shoulders. So sometimes I have to make the unpopular decision and folks either hate it or love it. If we get lax people complain, we tighten the rope people complain. I have come to the realization CF members more often then not can't be pleased.

So if someone has some ingenious method of actually getting users to read the damn rules and follow them without whining like a bunch school age babies by all means post up a suggestion. I have enough lately of folks thinking they are above the rules or constantly questioning our authority. You ask me if you don't like how the site is run no one is forcing you to stay.

Yeah it's a rant and yeah I am tired of hearing complaints. I'd much rather see the site be used for what it's for jeepers helping jeepers and sharing their passion.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Well let's see we post it the rules at the top of every forum area, areas that have area specific rules have those at the top. What more can we do?? I can't force people to read them, see them or anything else. I can try to educate them and then we run into the idiots who seem to think they are above the rules or try to question the rules as to why we have them. We tried to write the rules so they covered a broad area and are more of a guideline then a hard coded set of specific rules for every situation. Our rules are broad and meant to be guidelines.

At the end of the day we have the rules posted in plain site yet most seem to have no clue they are there. We the staff have to interpret those rules and unfortunately the final interpretation falls on my shoulders. So sometimes I have to make the unpopular decision and folks either hate it or love it. If we get lax people complain, we tighten the rope people complain. I have come to the realization CF members more often then not can't be pleased.

So if someone has some ingenious method of actually getting users to read the damn rules and follow them without whining like a bunch school age babies by all means post up a suggestion. I have enough lately of folks thinking they are above the rules or constantly questioning our authority. You ask me if you don't like how the site is run no one is forcing you to stay.

Yeah it's a rant and yeah I am tired of hearing complaints. I'd much rather see the site be used for what it's for jeepers helping jeepers and sharing their passion.
X2!! I totally agree and wish the whiners and abusers would take a hike. If I get sanctioned for my opinion so be it.
Dan
Old 03-13-2010, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

My first day here I read and understood the rules, it's not rocket surgery, their pretty straight forward and simple. I also fully expect to be corrected should I become forgetful and break them. I'm not sure the problems lie in people failing to read the rules so much as people choosing to ignore them. In the past month or so I've noticed a few instances of, for lack of a better term, childish behaviour. Posts that seem to be nothing more than "how much can I push this"? And how much attention can I get by doing so? How can I skirt the rules? Enough already, if thats what your looking for, thats cool, theres plenty of sites out there to choose from. This is not the site for it. This is a site about owning, building, modifying, maintaining,and everything else Cherokee! Theres nothing to be gained from pissing matches and drama. For the record, I've witnessed nothing but restraint and patience from the Mods and admins. I also understand that (after reading the rules) if I don't like it here, I'm free to not log in anymore. Lets all work together by keeping it civil, reporting rule breakers and keep this site what it was set out to be, a family friendly source of information for Cherokee enthusiests! Exit stage left.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
My first day here I read and understood the rules, it's not rocket surgery, their pretty straight forward and simple. I also fully expect to be corrected should I become forgetful and break them. I'm not sure the problems lie in people failing to read the rules so much as people choosing to ignore them. In the past month or so I've noticed a few instances of, for lack of a better term, childish behaviour. Posts that seem to be nothing more than "how much can I push this"? And how much attention can I get by doing so? How can I skirt the rules? Enough already, if thats what your looking for, thats cool, theres plenty of sites out there to choose from. This is not the site for it. This is a site about owning, building, modifying, maintaining,and everything else Cherokee! Theres nothing to be gained from pissing matches and drama. For the record, I've witnessed nothing but restraint and patience from the Mods and admins. I also understand that (after reading the rules) if I don't like it here, I'm free to not log in anymore. Lets all work together by keeping it civil, reporting rule breakers and keep this site what it was set out to be, a family friendly source of information for Cherokee enthusiests! Exit stage left.
THANK YOU Desert Rat!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I completely agree with Desert Rat and in no way was i trying to flame any of the MODS at all. Ive been around this site for a long time. My comment was only added because I just noticed a crack lately more then usual but I also know about some of the recent shaddy business OKC and other mods had to deal with.

So if I came off on the other side in my last comment, just know it wasnt my intention and I think the Mods on this site handle themselves pretty good compared to many.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks for your reply. I am amazed how a simple question like mine has generated such an utterance of "human distress" when a response containing a "yes" or "no" would have been sufficient.
But i must confess that i feel somewhat relieved in perceiving this "wobble" because it makes me understand that i am not the only one to have multiple doubts, which makes me feel a little less alone.
I think it is normal for people to complain in such a context, we have only you as a reference.
The only effective way I know to play a responsible job like this is to get the respect from people through a suited, compelling strength and confidence, and not an imposed authority, leaving this onerous task to the written rules that are unquestionable.
In this regard I wanted to focus attention, and that is the task of making such rules as detailed as possible so as to leave no room for personal interpretation.
Such a job can be done by making an analysis of the "infractions" or other disciplinary action made by the zealous moderators that you only can know, asking themselves questions such as: "is this a proper measure?", "which rule was broken?" "what can i add to the rule so this won't be misunderstood and won't happen again?"
That way nobody can complain anymore because the rule is written in detail and the negligence in reading the rules will still be a users fault.
Thanks.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
Talking in general or du you mean to me?

Quick Reply: CF rules and regs.