CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

Calm down?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Calm down?

Just a suggestion, and seriously not trying to sound like an a-hole here, just a suggestion. Earlier this evening, some made a thread in the Cherokee Tech section called Cat's??; basically a guy had broken his cat on an off-road trip and simply said that he replaced it with some pipe 'just to get home' and was asking what he should do about it. A few members, including myself, responded that runnin catless was illegal and against rules, and we all told him to get a new cat like from one of the vendors on the site. Not mentioning names, but a Mod closed it, threatened infractions and said all of us who responded were basically at fault for not reporting it.. The post wasn't even about going catless forever.. the guy was just asking for opinions, and rather than go and report the guy for his question, we answered it with a sound and LEGAL solution. My suggestion is maybe some mods should just take a step back and see if what they are thinking of doing is a bit unneccesary. I mean, no warning, just a sudden burst in and a closed thread seems kinda harsh.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Sounds like they might have had a bad day. Or the wife might have chewed them out, and they felt like passing it on.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

If there is a "Problem Thread", and it doesn't sound like this was, it only needs to be reported by one person. Too many reports on the same thread makes it harder for the staff to check and clean it up. That's what I was told by a Senior member of the staff.

Last edited by ol"blue; 08-26-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It has been proven time and time again, that we cannot leave any type of "cat" thread open. The reason is, some people don't get it, and chime in constantly about the removal of cats. We can't have this on the site for numerous reasons, including the owners don't want it here. Dan, you of all people know this to be true! Regarding the "bad day" comment, there are reasons things are done around here, it's not always due to the fact that someone may be having a bad day....
Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
It has been proven time and time again, that we cannot leave any type of "cat" thread open. The reason is, some people don't get it, and chime in constantly about the removal of cats. We can't have this on the site for numerous reasons, including the owners don't want it here. Dan, you of all people know this to be true! Regarding the "bad day" comment, there are reasons things are done around here, it's not always due to the fact that someone may be having a bad day....
I was referring to the fact that the OP had posted that all who had posted were threatened with infractions. I've never heard of such a thing, even in a "Cat-delete" thread. Before when someone posted the stupid/illegal question regarding intentionally removing it the thread was closed and the issue was dropped.
I'm fully aware of the laws and CF's rules, and we can't and won't tolerate threads regarding the intentional removal of these devices.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

I totally agree with not being able to keep a "cat help" thread open.. I have seen how people run their mouths about just chopping it off. And please, dont get me wrong, I know you guys do what must be done, and I personally think you guys do a HELL of a job doing it, because this is one of the best forums I have ever joined. Im just saying maybe a little less stress on the leaving comment woulda been better.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Originally Posted by ol"blue
I was referring to the fact that the OP had posted that all who had posted were threatened with infractions. I've never heard of such a thing, even in a "Cat-delete" thread. Before when someone posted the stupid/illegal question regarding intentionally removing it the thread was closed and the issue was dropped.
I'm fully aware of the laws and CF's rules, and we can't and won't tolerate threads regarding the intentional removal of these devices.
Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
I totally agree with not being able to keep a "cat help" thread open.. I have seen how people run their mouths about just chopping it off. And please, dont get me wrong, I know you guys do what must be done, and I personally think you guys do a HELL of a job doing it, because this is one of the best forums I have ever joined. Im just saying maybe a little less stress on the leaving comment woulda been better.
Both great comments!! I know that the majority of the wheeling populous knows the "deal" when it comes to this stuff. It is absolutely a "a couple bad apples, spoil the whole batch" type of situation here. I despise it as much as everyone else...

Kyle
Old 08-26-2010, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I read the thread last night and to me this thread is not in response to the thread being closed but in the manner it was posted. I am a mod on another web site (not jeep related) and in my take it was a little over the top. None of the guys who responded did anything out of the rules they answered his question pointed the OP towards a vender to get the problem fixed and then to be warned with infractions was too much. Items like that I've found its always better to PM the involved if any one had broken the site rules. A simple "closed for _____" would have worked just as well and no one gets angry.

just my .02
Old 08-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Default Eating Crow:

I made a mistake by speaking up, without doing the proper research, and I want to appologize to you guys for my original post in this thread. After reading the comment that was made, and seeing what the actual thread was talking about, I have to agree with you guys. I will jump to the aid of a fellow mod when I can, but I think the way this was handled was a little over the top. I have my opinions on how these topics should be dealt with, but that is niether here, nor there. I stand behind the decision of my fellow mod to close the thread, but think it could have been handled better. Again, I appologize for my lack of proper research, and resulting dark tunnel syndrome...

Kyle
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

I made a mistake by speaking up, without doing the proper research, and I want to appologize to you guys for my original post in this thread. After reading the comment that was made, and seeing what the actual thread was talking about, I have to agree with you guys. I will jump to the aid of a fellow mod when I can, but I think the way this was handled was a little over the top. I have my opinions on how these topics should be dealt with, but that is niether here, nor there. I stand behind the decision of my fellow mod to close the thread, but think it could have been handled better. Again, I appologize for my lack of proper research, and resulting dark tunnel syndrome...

Kyle
Well put. That's how forum moderation is supposed to work.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Well... me being that mod... I'm gonna have to fight back... but will have to be later as I'm on my phone and too much to type... maybe even tomorrow... but I can easily settle this... although I find it funny that no one in this thread right here got a infraction because nobody right here did anything wrong... but yet has something to say... ill be back... lol
Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Irongrave
I read the thread last night and to me this thread is not in response to the thread being closed but in the manner it was posted. I am a mod on another web site (not jeep related) and in my take it was a little over the top. None of the guys who responded did anything out of the rules they answered his question pointed the OP towards a vender to get the problem fixed and then to be warned with infractions was too much. Items like that I've found its always better to PM the involved if any one had broken the site rules. A simple "closed for _____" would have worked just as well and no one gets angry.

just my .02
Well said.

Kyle
Thank you Kyle, and I appreciate your honest response.

Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle
Well put. That's how forum moderation is supposed to work.
Well said Patrick.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Ive been on this site a while now, and come to think of it, i have never, untill now, seen any post about removing a cat. thats the way it should be. You want to hear how to do that, go to youtube, or some other forums i know of. Glad to see people are doing their job up her. its nice to now that we can have a formal and mature place to find info.

thanks to all that moderate up here. Im sure its no easy task!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:18 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Listen up I am going to look into this and deal with it. The situation will get resolved so please let's just simmer down. Mistakes happen and even us mods are human and we make mistakes. So everyone just chill out and I will handle it..
Old 08-27-2010, 04:34 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok I read the thread and IMHO the initial post really did not violate the law per say. I guess we have taken a hardline stance on cat removal threads because we have in the passed had folks discuss removing them as a viable mod and actually suggested to folks to remove them. So yes we do at times get fanatical about that topic. Threads like the one in question I think would have been best left a lone and I think how the members who posted after the original poster was fine. Everyone pretty much backed up the law and site rules by suggesting that the member replace it and not run without a cat. So at the end of the day a mistake was made and unfortunately it happens and will likely happen again. Just keep in mind even us mods have bad days, make a bad call and simply make mistakes as well. We are only human after all. We can take this as a learning experience.

In the future I request that member report the thread and then post that way as to what they feel was handled wrong and so on. That we the staff will see it and we can handle it appropriately and things do not get out of hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calm down?