CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

About the Search Function...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default About the Search Function...

Usually when someone comes on here and asks a question that's been gone over a million times already, someone chimes in with "Use the search it takes like half a second" or some smart-alec remark.

That doesn't help ANYBODY.

Reasons why search isn't as reliable as a lot of you seem to claim:

1. I go to do a search for "oil leak", and it brings up ONE topic that isn't even close to what I was looking for. The rest just have the words "oil leak" used in conversation, like "You know you drive an XJ when if you don't have an oil leak, you must be out of oil". I could spend all day sifting through the search results looking for the very specific answer to the very specific question I have, OR I could just make one tiny little new thread and get immediate answers. Hmm, tough decision there.

2. Non-descriptive thread titles. Sure, the entire thread may be about oil leaks, but sometimes it's titled "Ugh, more problems with my Jeep." How is someone running a search supposed to know that that thread has anything to do with oil leaks?

3. Not everyone is as internet saavy as some of us are. Some people barely know how to type, let alone use the search function to it's fullest potential.

4. When someone makes a thread that's already been talked about millions of times, guess what... the damage has been done, the new thread exists. Only saying "use search" is a waste of everyone's time. You could answer the question and the thread will sink into oblivion. Instead, everyone decides to debate the merits of the search function, keeping that new thread on top for much longer than it needs to be.

My suggestions?

How about we consider the number of times a particular question is asked (for example, "Why doesn't my power window work?") and make a sticky with that information? If that's something that a new thread is created about every day, we could easily stop that problem by making that information readily available as soon as you log on.

OR, how about a FAQ board with those threads tossed in it?

OR, we just accept that some people don't have time to search through page after page of this forum looking for a very specific answer, and just want a quick response from someone... so why don't we set up a chat room, or even just an "EMERGENCY TECH" forum for people to get immediate responses on problems? That's a forum that could be limited to 2 pages, and any threads after that 2 page limit would just automatically vanish.

So to conclude, stop being rude to people who ask common questions, and let's try to be a bit more constructive in how we go about it, eh?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by 77olds
2. Non-descriptive thread titles. Sure, the entire thread may be about oil leaks, but sometimes it's titled "Ugh, more problems with my Jeep." How is someone running a search supposed to know that that thread has anything to do with oil leaks?
thats actually a good point.
but for me it's fine if someone asks a common question that's been asked a lot
I just want to see that they tried to research it. and they atleast have some knowledge of the subject such as..

title: my window wont work
body: so I searched on google and found that the motor can burn out
they cost ($$$) to pull from a JY
I pushed the button and it just makes a dull humming noise like the motor is trying to push them, but its stuck or something
should I just buy the new motor or is there an easier fix for my specific issue?

instead of "why wont my window roll up? how much does it cost to fix?"
I see that all day and a lot of people tend to flame it because it comes off as being too lazy to search
see the difference?

Last edited by Atmos; 02-08-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Just use google. It works.

Forum Search engines are weak unless you know exactly what you're looking for. That solves the searching problem.

Now, people saying "Search" irritates me as much as it does you.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Search!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

If you'd searched you'd know this belongs in the CF questions and suggestions section.

Seriously, though, no one reads stickies. And no one pays much attention to where they or posting, what they are posting, or how its titled.

It really sucks. Especially if you are a Staff member.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

What 77olds said.. especially-- "someone chimes in with "Use the search it takes like half a second" or some smart-alec remark.
That doesn't help ANYBODY."

EXACTLY! Way too many 'helpers' pointing to the 'weak at best' search feature.. If it only takes 1/2 a second, why not just do the search and post your results instead of the witty 'eyerolling, oh look at the newbie 'NON Helpful' "use the search" suggestion?

Sorry, I have no ideas for a solution.. but I can be a part of the problem oil leak, death wobble, heater core, blower resistor, bad cps, 3 inch lift, TPS...
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
If you'd searched you'd know this belongs in the CF questions and suggestions section.

Seriously, though, no one reads stickies. And no one pays much attention to where they or posting, what they are posting, or how its titled.

It really sucks. Especially if you are a Staff member.
This. Threads like "were shud i put my stikerzz" do not belong in Fab (or anywhere for that matter.)

I would be willing to bet that at least half of Gee's 11 some odd thousand posts consist of "moved to _______."

And it doesn't help that the search function here is like craigslist where it searches keywords in whole threads.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by blue_on_blackXJ
I would be willing to bet that at least half of Gee's 11 some odd thousand posts consist of "moved to _______."
Eh, about a quarter of them.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I just Google what I'm looking for and look for the results followed by Cherokeeforum.com and it brings me right back here. I'm guessing its about a 99% success rate. I never have a problem finding what I'm looking for that way.
This is an internet forum, pretty basic format. One cannot expect what I think many do, too much, this format will search based on a key word or two, Googles a much more advanced engine and seems to be able to work more off a complete description of whats typed.
Using google, my link back to here is ussually in the top five results. HTH's.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 AM

All good points, and don't get me wrong, I feel for the staff. I've helped moderate forums before and it can be very frustrating when you have to spend so much time sorting because people just won't pay attention.

That's why I suggested that when someone posts a frequent topic, that we just answer their question, or link to the thread with the information they need, then be done with it. That way the thread will just sink into the bottom of the forum and never be seen again.

The more people chiming in with "search function duh", the more the thread gets brought right back up to the top.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Originally Posted by 77olds
The more people chiming in with "search function duh", the more the thread gets brought right back up to the top.
I'm always for answering people's (Especially new peoples) questions on any type of forum I am a member of. If everyone just joined and searched for answers the forums would get pretty boring pretty quick. Let's face it pretty much everythings been answered 100 times so the answers or suggestions ARE there for anyone to find with searches but what fun is that? The whole point of joining these groups is to interact with those who share your interest and make new friends, etc. And people get disgusted and lose interest really fast if no one talks to them or shares their new found passion. So if someone asks a question you've answered before and you don't feel like doing it again then just leave it alone and let others chime in and communicate. Just saying..Go search..Isn't any fun and is sometimes unfriendly. Just my opinion
Old 02-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Programbo
I'm always for answering people's (Especially new peoples) questions on any type of forum I am a member of. If everyone just joined and searched for answers the forums would get pretty boring pretty quick. Let's face it pretty much everythings been answered 100 times so the answers or suggestions ARE there for anyone to find with searches but what fun is that? The whole point of joining these groups is to interact with those who share your interest and make new friends, etc. And people get disgusted and lose interest really fast if no one talks to them or shares their new found passion. So if someone asks a question you've answered before and you don't feel like doing it again then just leave it alone and let others chime in and communicate. Just saying..Go search..Isn't any fun and is sometimes unfriendly. Just my opinion
That's a good point too. Most things have been covered already, so if we were to not allow people to repeat questions, you'd might as well just lock the tech forums.

Besides, sometimes even old issues might have new light shed on them.