Trail Reports Show off pictures of your recent wheeling events.

How us Utah'ns do our New Years Day Snow Blasting....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How us Utah'ns do our New Years Day Snow Blasting....

I POSTED THIS IN MY BUILD THREAD TOO, DECIDED TO POST IT HERE TOO CAUSE IT WAS A FUN LITTLE TRIP!!

Soooo...... we went out and did some snow wheeling yesterday. One of the funnest trips i've been on in a while. I was close to calling it quits a couple times... but it was worth the work in the end....

So Friday afternoon I get off work early, head home to finish up the Jeep. I get the steering buttoned up, hoses hooked up, spend some time bleeding the air out if the system, I am happy with how it feel and is working. So next, on to the broken front u joint. I tear the front passenger side apart, head to to auto zone and grab a new one, get back only to find the retarded lady sold me the wrong one... hey lady.. front axle shaft is not the same as front DRIVE shaft! So back to swap it out and I get that back together. Then I call it a night.

Saturday morning.. wake up early, 6:30, wanted to have plenty of time. I button up the front diff cover and top off the fluid. At this point all I has to do was scrape the 8" of snow off the trailer and load the Jeep....

Well, i take it for a test drive over to my buddies, everythig looks and feels good. Head home to load it, pull in the drive and I smell coolant... water pump takes a crap. So.. 20 minutes and I had the water pump out. Luckily Napa is open. I run down to Napa, grab a new water pump, a gallon of antifreeze, and a thermostat gasket. Get home and another 30 minutes or so later I have it back togther and running, But my belt is squealing like crazy.. i check my idler pulley and the bearing is about toast... so i pull the pulley off, down to auto zone for anew one and throw it on. Still squealing. We then determined it was the Belt itself. It had been rubbing on a hose and melted one of the edges, it looked fine and worked fine (ALL DAY EVEN) just squealed all day. Friggin annoying. Anyway, we finally get it loaded, every lock on the trailer is frozen and has to be heated with a torch before unlocking. WHAT A MORNING!! I was ready to throw in the towel...

Once we finally made it out here it was an awesome day of wheeling.. plenty of snow, but not too much. Sun was out. Jeep worked great all day until the very end.. we'll get ot that...

A few pics of our little group...

I also got a few videos.. i'm diggin the FlipVideo the wife gave me for Christmas, this thing is sick. Nevrmingd the damn squealing belt, it did it ALL DAY! Needless to say i had the radio cranked all day.

Steep climb...

Dylan getting turned around in his XJ buggy....

Getting through some rocks....

Couple vids of me trying to catch some air... i hit it the first time and it was fresh powder, traction was great and I caught some sweet air! Next two times on video it was packed down and slick and i couldnt get as much speed.... still fun though!

And.... at the very end I was trying to make i through this pretty tight and steep wedge... I had it the floor, tons of wheel speed and then BOOM!!!!!!!!!! Tire finally caught traction with the side wall and did this....

Broke all the ears off the inner and outer shafts on the passenger side... ALWAYS the passenger side.. WTF!? Oh well, it was a fun day and in the end I still think it was worth it....

Damn 44. That 60 sitting there is starting to look pretty tempting....

Few more misc. vids...
Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Nice rigs and video!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee