Wanted Post any items you want to buy or trade.

WTB[MidAtl]: Looking for a 4WD XJ - Virginia

Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB
Default Looking for a 4WD XJ - Virginia

Preferably an 8-slot-grill (pre-'97), but will entertain newer models. I'm near Frederickburg Virginia, so something within comfortable driving distance preferred. I can do a bit of driving for the right Jeep. Has to be running so I can drive it home, but if it isn't, please provide full disclosure. I do have a car-hauler I can use. Doesn't have to be pretty or perfect. Willing to see some that might have issues, since I have a donor XJ at my disposal, and I love to paint!

Nothing over 190K miles; I prefer an automatic with the 242 transfer case. I am not looking for a built XJ. Something with a basic lift is not a dealbreaker, but not interested in a built rig unless it is extremely well done, quality parts, no bastard packs, no Rough Country stuff. To avoid any hard feelings or misunderstandings, a virgin is strongly preferred.

I don't like the dark hunter green XJs. Just something about that color gives me a stomach ache. Has to be something really special before I'll look at one in that color. A Limited or Country would be a welcome plus.

See? I'm not hard to please. Who's got an XJ for sale?

Last edited by _StationWagon_; 01-08-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L
Default 97 XJ

I may have something that would fit what you're looking for. I'll be brief about everything until you let me know you might be interested.

I have been working on a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country edition. I purchased this Jeep a few years ago with a blown motor and missing some front end pieces as a project to restore. I've made a substantial investment in rebuilding a 4.0L motor and piecing the body back together. It is now a complete running and driving XJ with current PA state inspection. It is black in color with light grey leather interior. This Country edition included all 3 factory skid plates and tow package, pwr driver's seat, windows, locks, etc... This Jeep is an automatic with a NP242 and 8.25 rear.

The (not so)bad: Currently it has no carpet in it. The original was badly stained and I had planned on replacing it this spring. The AC is non-functional and disconnected. I am pretty sure I have all the parts, but only the compressor is installed. Can not speak of it's integrity. Completely possible that it just needs hooked up and recharged. There is a squeaking (rotational) after the motor starts but usually quiets down after 15-20 minutes of driving. It's either the fan shaft bearing or the AC compressor. Alternator and WP are new, as are a whole bunch of other parts and pieces. The Jeep is Black in color but is original, neglected, and showing it's age. There is a softball size dent in the passenger's door but there is a spare door that goes with it. One other small dent in the roof above the driver's door- probably repairable. It does not have the original front bumper. It is aftermarket but I couldn't be sure who's.

My asking price is $2800. I have over $2000 in parts and machine work for the motor alone. I think $2800 is a fair price, and I'll throw in any spare Jeep parts I have lying around. Let me know if you're interested and I can start getting you pictures and more information. Located in Central PA.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Replied to your text. Thanks for your reply, the XJ sounds awesome, but the distance is daunting. That looks like an 8+ hour round trip ...