Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help please, problem solving NP231 cluster indicator light not functioning

Old 01-10-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Help please, problem solving NP231 cluster indicator light not functioning

Just joined the Cherokee Forum, read many great thread over the passed months, thank you all..

Have a problem solving issue... 2001 Cherokee auto with the NP231 transfer case, when in 4 WD, no IP cluster indicator... Did the following steps with no luck.. Any new ideas or recommendations please.. Thanks in advance?.

Here is the list of tests completed:
1.) Ran the cluster indicator test and no "Part time" light ( upper right side of cluster)
2.) Cleaner the connection for the bulb and replaced the bulbs/socket with a proven good one
3.) Disconnected the harness to the transfer case at the sensor and jumped it ( did this to prove out if the mechanical sensor was the issue ). With jumper still no light
4.) Visually check the harness, looked good, no damage

I have read the cluster test should "light" the indicator bulb (odometer presses and turning the key to run without starting, which worked for all the other bulbs ). But in my case nothing for either of the 4WD indicators, but the shift indicator lights up..

Please let me know any other ideas.. I know this is not a " must have ", but it is important for me on maintaining our Classis Jeep.. Thanks!!!
Old 02-08-2016, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by XJ Classic
Just joined the Cherokee Forum, read many great thread over the passed months, thank you all.. Have a problem solving issue... 2001 Cherokee auto with the NP231 transfer case, when in 4 WD, no IP cluster indicator... Did the following steps with no luck.. Any new ideas or recommendations please.. Thanks in advance?. Here is the list of tests completed: 1.) Ran the cluster indicator test and no "Part time" light ( upper right side of cluster) 2.) Cleaner the connection for the bulb and replaced the bulbs/socket with a proven good one 3.) Disconnected the harness to the transfer case at the sensor and jumped it ( did this to prove out if the mechanical sensor was the issue ). With jumper still no light 4.) Visually check the harness, looked good, no damage I have read the cluster test should "light" the indicator bulb (odometer presses and turning the key to run without starting, which worked for all the other bulbs ). But in my case nothing for either of the 4WD indicators, but the shift indicator lights up.. Please let me know any other ideas.. I know this is not a " must have ", but it is important for me on maintaining our Classis Jeep.. Thanks!!!

Newbie figured it out. Changed the T case indicator switch and connector. Got it working
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

My '99 has the same problem, have not been able to troubleshoot it yet. Switch and/or connector seems most likely. Where did you get the switch and connector? Are these dealer-only parts?
Old 02-14-2016, 06:59 AM

Stock part at O'Reilley's , ordered the switch and was at the stores the next day about $11... Cleaned up the terminals on the connector and coated it with simple dielectric grease.. Also cleaned the surface contact area on the ip cluster around the bulb connection with a pencil easer... Hope this helps on yours..
Old 02-14-2016, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Rambler65
My '99 has the same problem, have not been able to troubleshoot it yet. Switch and/or connector seems most likely. Where did you get the switch and connector? Are these dealer-only parts?
I just look at the position of the lever.