Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Door Remote for 89 Cherokee ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I-6, 4l
Default Door Remote for 89 Cherokee ?

Are door remote key fobs still available for an 89 XJ? I remember loosing one many, many years ago and costing quite a bit (at the time) to have it replaced with a new OEM. Subsequently when I lost it (a second time - or maybe it died) I found an exact OEM replacement from Renault that was considerably less expensive than the Jeep replacement. Subsequently when I lost it a third time (or it died), I bought a relatively cheap (cheap looking and cheap cost) non-OEM one from a local dealer (that was about 15 years ago) which continues to work but I think it's days are numbered. What are you folks using?

Last edited by Bucko; 06-29-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Something this age used on ebay is about your only luck you will have.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Lol I have the same exact issue. I have an 89 and the PO (my dad or my mom) lost the fob ages ago. I'd say stick with getting a new non oem one. They are known to be terrible it sounds like. I just use my key when I lock it. What's your range on your current fob anyways?
Old 07-06-2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by LiamLikeNeeson
Lol I have the same exact issue. I have an 89 and the PO (my dad or my mom) lost the fob ages ago. I'd say stick with getting a new non oem one. They are known to be terrible it sounds like. I just use my key when I lock it. What's your range on your current fob anyways?
Hi Liam. Almost zero range. It's an infrared remote so it only works 'line of sight' to the receiver which is located between the windshield visors.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:50 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You're really better off just getting an aftermarket unit. As stated, there is ZERO range to the thing so by the time you're close enough to hit the unlock button, you may as well have just stuck your key in the door and opened it yourself. Many people (myself included) get rid of the sensor and use it for a CB radio mounting location.

There are much better options with the aftermarket including alarm, remote start, and the like.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:54 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Infra-Red remote entry

I still use the stock infra-red remote, $20 from e-bay. There is also a smaller aftermarket IR remote for about $35. But I cannot remember the company that makes it.
The IR remote works for me because I have power locks, all doors unlock including hatch. Remote will work from rear glass to enter hatch.

edit; found it. http://www.keylessride.com/order/quo...&frid=92CE1C2A
Old 07-09-2016, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
I still use the stock infra-red remote, $20 from e-bay. There is also a smaller aftermarket IR remote for about $35. But I cannot remember the company that makes it.
The IR remote works for me because I have power locks, all doors unlock including hatch. Remote will work from rear glass to enter hatch.

edit; found it. http://www.keylessride.com/order/quo...&frid=92CE1C2A
Hi Steve:

Thanks for your note. I'm with you - I have power locks and the remote is very handy. Not sure if the remote in your link would work or not, when I did a search for a 89XJ remote on that site they returned a 'we don't have a remote for that model...
Old 07-10-2016, 06:32 PM

Ok thanks for the input. I got rid of my receiver as the black cover broke off and I decided to take it out for a cleaner look. But the 2 back door power locks don't work too well and I have to manually flip the switches back there to lock as unlock them. But the front doors and rear hatch locks are fine.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

I paid $70 for the used factory remote for my old '94 ZJ a few years back, didn't want to, but the key I was given for it when I bought it only started it up, didn't unlock the doors or glove box, so I really needed it, lol.

Yes, I'd recommend going the aftermarket route. The factory ones you can program yourself (the remote from up to a '96 XJ Cherokee, or from a '93-'95 ZJ Grand Cherokee will definitely work), but IDK if the remotes were ever available on XJ's as old as yours, even if you have the Limited trim, but then again, I'm sure they were, since the Grand Wagoneer SJ's had them standard.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:10 PM

I have the limited and it had this single button remote not the two button with the small red light one that came later. Replacing the whole system seems to be the only way to have a working key fob
Old 07-11-2016, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by LiamLikeNeeson
I have the limited and it had this single button remote not the two button with the small red light one that came later. Replacing the whole system seems to be the only way to have a working key fob
Same as me: I have a Limited which had the single button IR remote.

All the wiring for a suitable wireless replacement is probably in the receiver holder between the visors - just a matter of finding one that's small enough to fit in the original space. Adding additional functions, other than toggling the door locks, would require additional wiring (which I'm not really interested in) but is likely possible.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:14 PM

Yeah I just wouldn't mind the ability to lock my doors from a distance. But the plug for the receiver had extra holes for adding additional cables for hooking it up to an aftermarket receiver? Not saying the plug was built with the intention of aftermarket upgrades but it could work if you wanted to have a fun little project to figure out how it would work.