Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Brainstorming how to make LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Brainstorming how to make LED headlights

I'll just preface by saying that buying a complete bulb assembly from Amazon would be much easier and similarly priced. I like these project though, and I think I might even be able to get a better result.

I'll need:
I can't really nail down prices yet, but I think $40/bulb would be a safe upper limit. I could probably put together the voltage step-ups myself and save a few dollars.

One advantage of this setup would be very easy brightness control. The power supply has a small voltage control ****.

The biggest difficulty I foresee is in controlling how the light is projected onto the road. Not trying to blind anyone.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-30-2016, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

For $2 more, I'd get the 50W, just because.

I made a set of axillary driving lights with nearly the same parts.
Find a sealed/waterproof step up and used a large finned heat sink. Found everything on Ebay.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
For $2 more, I'd get the 50W, just because.

I made a set of axillary driving lights with nearly the same parts.
Find a sealed/waterproof step up and used a large finned heat sink. Found everything on Ebay.
I ll love to see how you did that
Old 12-22-2016, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

The real problem you need to tackle is how to project the LED headlight. Even the kits sold by professionals has been cut down by professional light experts as just plain not having the ability to focus or cast the light down road compared to even halogen. People see brighter close up but down range where headlights need to be, they just don't compare. Fogs or flood is where I think LED has a place in lighting. Lots of snake oil in the LED headlight marketing.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Smaller LED's are easier to focus. Those big COB LED's are great if you want to light a loading ramp or yard, but impractical for projecting far down the road/trail or with a cutoff. Don't forget to shield the LED if you don't want to blind people.