Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket radio and speaker install?

Old 11-24-2016, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Aftermarket radio and speaker install?

I have a 1997 country edition that has the infinity system with the two speakers in the rear, the two smaller ones in the front doors in addition to the normal ones, and the infinity sub under the rear seat. The factory radio is going out the two rear speakers where missing when i got it and only the speaker in the passenger side door works. I want to install an aftermarket radio with two new speakers in the doors, and maybe do the rear speakers later if I think it needs it. I plan on unhooking the smaller speakers in the doors and just using the main speakers in the front doors. Do I have to do any kind of bypass where the rear speakers where or on the box under the rear seat for this to work? I know this is a long post but I am not sure how everything is tied in.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

I dont think the factory amp box under the seat works either thats why I want to get rid of it or bypass it. I am just not sure what I need.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Having speakers only in the front creates a better sound stage. The little speakers are tweeters. Unless you buy a set of component speakers the tweeters will be attached to the new ones. I would just run new speaker wire to bypass the factory amp. I don't know how much you are looking to spend but I definitely recommend this head unit. https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-8.../dp/B006Y44DAY
Old 11-24-2016, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

I was looking at this radio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091V0A9U...I3APK5FXAYLIP8

And these speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NF5EQHK...I233AC8UJMCOR5
Old 11-25-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

The TS-G series speakers are pretty good but lack bass and aren't the best in treble response either... I had a set of 6.75" ones in all 4 doors of my old Grand Cherokee ZJ and the reason why I picked them is that I was on a budget and they were the cheapest at Best Buy ($40/pair). But they worked for what I needed them for (to replace blown 18-year-old stock speakers).

Coming from the Infinity system, I'd look at more expensive speakers, unless, again, you're on a budget. The front door panels on the Cherokee XJ's are so easy to remove (a few screws and then Philips screws for the speakers) but the rear speakers are a pain in the a$$ to remove or install for the '97s (they redesigned the sound bar in 1998 so it's easier to get to and replace the speakers). Bypassing the stock amp is easy because all you'd have to do is run new speaker wiring from the speakers to the head unit (you just pull at the center stack to remove it- no screws, and 2 bolts for the radio in the upper right and lower left corners). I've also heard using dish soap to lubricate the speaker wires make them easy to pass thru the small openings.

The head unit looks good, but I've never had experience with Pioneer head units, just Sony and Kenwood. But all three brands I've mentioned are good, just don't make the mistake of going to Walmart and buying the cheapest thing they have (I bought a Dual brand receiver and even with all the wires connected in my old '94 Grand Cherokee ZJ, no sound from the speakers and it got VERY hot to the touch). I had a Sony unit that looked a lot like the Pioneer unit in my ZJ and in my '02 Grand Cherokee WJ, I have a Kenwood.

The Kenwood is neat because not only does it have HD Radio, SiriusXM capabilities (via a $50 tuner and antenna that plugs into the back of the radio), Bluetooth, and an adjustable color display so you can pick which color the buttons and display light up.

The specific Kenwood I have in my Jeep is discontinued, but a model that looks exactly like it is available, the KDC-BT765HD (I have a KDC-BT758HD). It's $150 from Crutchfield. The Sony I had (also discontinued) was a CDX-GT360MP (basic A/M-F/M with CD and aux, and SiriusXM capabilities). That set me back about $90 at Best Buy in 2012.

I'd suggest buying from Crutchfield because they give you step-by-step instructions for your specific vehicle and all of the wiring harnesses and mounting kits for free when you purchase from them. If you buy from anywhere else they won't do that for you.

Good luck and keep us updated!

-Vince
Old 11-26-2016, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

I don't want to spend a lot on the radio because I don't drive it very much. It is mainly just an off-road toy. The Infinity system never worked since I owned it so I won't be missing anything from not having it. So I'll have to run new wires to make this work?
Old 11-26-2016, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

I mainly just want to be able to listen to the radio.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Yes, you'll have to run new wires to bypass the factory amp. The Pioneer unit seems like a good deal for you if all you want to do is listen to the radio.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Are you sure the wires in the door aren't broken? That's why I lost my door speakers back in the day.

Trying to get high range sound from the bottom of the doors is next to impossible. I mounted my tweeters below the vents on the dash. Not great, but better than down on the doors and I didn't want the little "ears" like the JK's have.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

They don't look broken but I think I have something going on because I never could get my power mirrors to work either. I know the driver side speaker is bad because it fell apart when I took the door panel off.