Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

92 Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 92 Audio Upgrade

While I'm waiting for my 3 link long arm kit to ship, I figured I should upgrade the atrocious sound system in my 92 XJ. Now I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to audio, plus I want to keep it all around $250-$300 since I'm just looking for a clean all-around setup on a budget (no need to blow out my windows w/ $300 subs). The jeep came with a decent Pioneer head unit, but I've done some research for what I'm looking for and here is what I've come up with:

Speakers: 4 Kenwood 6.5" 3-Way (KFC-1695PS), RMS Power Handling= 75w per speaker

Sub: Rockford Fosgate R2 Ultra Shallow 10-Inch, RMS= 400w (placed in a SubThump stealth enclosure)

Amp: Planet Audio 1600w (AC1600.4 ANARCHY) 2 to 8 Ohm, 4 Channel

-For the amp I'd like to run two channels at 150w rms @ 4 ohm for the four speakers (75w each), while bridging the other two channels for the sub to get 300w rms @ 4 ohm (if thats possible?)

Now I know Planet Audio isn't exactly the highest quality amp but if the numbers they claim are actually correct, then it seems like a good fit for my setup. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!
Old 03-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

What you bought seems pretty good for what you're looking for in terms of being on a budget and wanting to upgrade. For my old '94 Grand Cherokee ZJ I was in the same boat and I put in an $80 Sony A/M-F/M-CD-MP3-Aux head unit and 4 Pioneer 6.5" speakers in the doors totaling $80 or $40 a pair... didn't even buy the speaker mounting adapters or speaker wiring harness adapters (only did that for the radio with the dash kit and wiring harnesses)... just cut and spliced the stock speaker wiring into the aftermarket speaker wiring harnesses that came with my new speakers, and used self-tapping screws to secure my new speakers to the doors... worked very well and I only spent $150 total on the system... MUCH better than stock.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Those speakers look pretty good, amp looks like it will do what you want (it says 600w x 2 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS). Probably a bit over-rated but within the ballpark.

How will you be powering the rear speakers? A 5-channel amp is not much more money and would probably be the best fit IMO. The Kenwood speakers you listed get good reviews, but I am going to upgrade to component speakers up front when I can afford it.

The subwoofer apparently is only rated for 200w RMS and doesnt look like it will like much more. You can always set the gain level.

I went for a SoundQubed 8" subwoofer (HDS208) in the a Subthump enclosure and just got done installing it.

The SoundQubed is a beast of a subwoofer though, rated for 600w RMS. The spacing was really tight - I used the 3/4" spacer they have, and it has about .25"-.5" behind the subwoofer when mounted. Powered with a 600w RMS Pioneer amplifier, Pioneer DEH-780MP with the Color OLED screen, JL Audio 4-channel amp powering 4x Infiniti Reference coax speakers (too bright of a sound IMO). I only installed sound deadening in the area around the sub, but HUGE improvement and highly recommended (used Noico branded stuff from Amazon, the 36sq ft kit should do the front two doors and subwoofer area completely)

Both amps are mounted under the rear bench seat.

Still breaking in the suboofer before I turn up the gain, need to sort out everything that is rattling in my rig though.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Model: Cherokee

FYI the gain on an amp is not a volume control.