MJ Comanche Tech. Stock & Modified. MJ (86-92)
All discussion regarding the Jeep Comanche, the pickup truck related to the Cherokee platform.

Renix to HO harness and engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6L I6 Stroker with port matched +99 intake and 62mm TB
Default Renix to HO harness and engine swap.

Got a few questions on what's going to work best here...

I have a complete '96 XJ (4.0L AW4) donor with brand new Jasper crate engine (less than 900 miles on it). It was in a head on collision, so the unibody is toast. Harnesses seem to be just fine, I even got it started and running to verify.

I have my '86 MJ (4.0L AX15). I'm sticking with the 5-speed, so I know to bypass the NSS.

So, my questions are as follows:

First, fuel system. Can I run the pre-96 style fuel system in conjunction with the '96 harness and PCM without trouble. By that I mean, for those that don't know, '96 is the first year to go to the pressure regulator inside of the tank, as opposed to on the fuel rail. I have an MJ HO sender handy, so I suspect I could use that, but I want verification.

Secondly, is it possible to use the GM style steering column with the ChryCo ignition system? I don't care about airbags, and besides, the steering wheel and air bag in my donor is of no worth due to the collision. Also, I want to retain my factory AMC branded Jeep keys.

Thirdly, would I be able to use the older HVAC box and controls with the newer harness? The XJ's HVAC box is busted beyond repair. I want to have heat and A/C if possible.

Also, to tie into that, can I use the older style A/C compressor (the one that has the bolts mount through the front, not the top)? The compressor is brand new and the freon lines look like they'll screw right on.

Fourthly, being that the donor harness is from an automatic and the MJ it's going in is a 5-speed, is there concern there for issues, besides bypassing the NSS? I know cruise control won't work, but I shouldn't have any CEL's since the AW4 has it's own controller computer in '96, correct?

Lastly (for now), can I swap the electronic speedometer for the cable driven one? I'd like to retain the original mileage of ~82k.

Last edited by onlyinajeep726; 05-06-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stay with the Renix, just swap the long block.

You have already wasted too much time........thinking it through.

Truly, you'll gain nothing.

I suppose you know the '86 did not come 4.0?
Old 05-08-2016, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.6L I6 Stroker with port matched +99 intake and 62mm TB

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
Stay with the Renix, just swap the long block.

You have already wasted too much time........thinking it through.

Truly, you'll gain nothing.

I suppose you know the '86 did not come 4.0?
I'm aware the '86 didn't come factory with a 4.0, but mine has one by my hands and ingenuity. I'm also aware that I could just as well swap in the long block and swap over all accessories/sensors, and adapt the TPS. This isn't my first rodeo lol.

I also know it's a lot of work for little gain, but I want something even more unique in an MJ without straying to far from AMC/Jeep/ChryCo.

It may never happen, honestly. Just weighing out the option because I like projects and I like having something custom. It keeps fabrication and mechanical skills honed.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Not worth doing what you want. The old Saginaw column wont' work with the 96 column they don't even come close with the wiring, The heater box will work if you swap some plugs around, you can use the fuel pump but you'll have to find a 95 and older fuel rail and use the fuel line off the donor, it's easy it just snaps in clips on the frame. and yes you can use the older a/c pump but you have to change the mounting bracket on the block. The a/c line will be in the way of the outside fuse box of the 96 and a pain to get it mounted.