MJ Comanche Tech. Stock & Modified. MJ (86-92)
All discussion regarding the Jeep Comanche, the pickup truck related to the Cherokee platform.

comanche/cherokee v8 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default comanche/cherokee v8 swap questions

So, im about to start a swap into my 87 comanche. Its a 2.5, ax4, 2wd. I alreay have a 3" lift on it, and a turdy up front, and the engine is on its way out. What ive gathered so far for the swap is novak motor mounts, carbed 350, a s10 nv3500 5 speed, and a 231c mated to that. I have done a lot of research and searched many forums and just want to ask a few things. How much of the wiring can be eliminated? What are people using for radiators, besides a $600 conversion one. Ive heard some modify a stock 4.0 rad, some use caravan rad. And lastly, whats the best way to tackle hydraulic clutch master and slave? Use stock jeep ax4 master and s10 nv3500 slave? Use all s10? Use newer jeep nv3550 master and slave? Would i have to change pedals?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

As you seem to realize, cooling is going to be a major issue. I have a hard time believing that modifying the 4.0 radiator in whatever way that is would be suffice..... It honestly barely does the job of cooling the 4.0. I dont have any experience in what you are trying to do all I can go off of is seeing other guys do what you are trying to do. Cooling tends to be the hardest part of this swap. I consistently see nothing but overheating problems with out a ridiculously prices radiator.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:03 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I think you need to hunt a good radiator, if I were you I will be looking for an aluminum one, the biggest that can be fitted into the comanche.
For the clutch master and slave, the good thing is that the NV350 has an external slave, I will use the comanche stock master, and the NV350 (if available), and give it a try, you will quickly find if the ratio of the two is good for your setup or not.
When it comes to the wiring, you for a carbed engine you need the wiring for the oil pressure sender, the temp sender, the alternator, and the distributor/coil, so everything else from the engine harness can be eliminated, but be extra carefull before cutting wires, need to be sure you are not cutting something else.

I have done this kind of conversions but not on Jeeps, I used to own a Mazda RX7, and swapped the rotary engine to a ford 351W, bunch of extra wires were cut, but slowly, one wire at a time checking three times where it came and where it goes to.

Also you need to address the fuel pump, not sure if your Comanche is actually FI or carbed, if FI you need to convert that to low pressure.

that's what comes to my mind at this moment, keep posting, everyone here has some experience and all of us are here to help and be helped as well
Old 02-09-2015, 05:06 PM

I wouldnt worry to much about wiring because its minimal, like he said just a couple of wires to sensors which in your case I would almost use after market gauges unless you just want to run factory. Cooling I would most def be on the look out for any quality aluminum 3 row radiator for a gm motor. The conversion one is nice cause its more than likely a bolt in and go but you can take measurements and figure out what size would work they make radiators in almost anysize dont even have to specify what vehicle its for just measure and order prolly 1/2 to 2/3rds the price just have to custom fit it...

as far as everything I do not know, Prolly go with electric fans maybe even dual there are prolly alot of info on this in here