Vinyl wrapping - Jeep Cherokee Forum
Jeep Cherokee Forum

Vinyl wrapping

Old 02-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #1

View WilliamA's Photo Album My Photos
Default Vinyl wrapping

Hey all,
I've been doing a bit of dress-up and thought I'd post a couple of pics. I wrapped the center console, mirrors, vents, shifter well and two of the front fascia slots.

I got the idea of a topographic map overlay from the SEMA Cherokee. I did some checking and couldn't find a part # for the Cherokee hood decal so I made my own. I downloaded a topo map sheet from the USGS website and then ripped all the text off the file in Adobe Illustrator. I messed around until I had the background/foreground colors I wanted and then sent the file out for printing on 3M UV resistant vinyl. I got enough for 3 hood decals, though I only used one on the hood. I got lucky with the hood decal install and got it on the first go. As this was my first time with vinly graphics, I cheated on the hood decal and enlisted my body working pro buddy Zeppy to help me. I used the remaining stuff on and around the interior and exterior. Here are a few photos:

This one required complete removal and disassembly of the console. When I find the guy who said: "vinyl graphics are fun and easy to do at home!" I'm gonna have a chat with him.....

I did these in place as I couldn't figure out how to get them out. Not too bad a job as it turns out.

The red pinstripe on the hood decal is an overlay. I could have embedded it into the file for printing, but that would have required graphing the hood decal to a high degree of accuracy. No need for that. I printed it square and then made a template by removing the windshield spray nozzles and tracing the stock decal. I took the template and cut the finished decal with a scissors. It's 1/4" larger all round than the stocker.

Will

Last edited by WilliamA; 02-14-2017 at 07:02 AM.
WilliamA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #2

View CurrySoSpicy's Photo Album My Photos

Wow looks great!!!
CurrySoSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:41 AM   #3

View WilliamA's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks. I am pretty happy with it. There is work to be done and I will be re-wrapping the mirrors, but for my first attempt I'm satisfied. A friend of mine who does more of it tells me that I need to wait until it's a bit warmer. When I did the pieces on the car, it was below freezing. Progress, not perfection!

Will
WilliamA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #4

View CurrySoSpicy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamA View Post
Thanks. I am pretty happy with it. There is work to be done and I will be re-wrapping the mirrors, but for my first attempt I'm satisfied. A friend of mine who does more of it tells me that I need to wait until it's a bit warmer. When I did the pieces on the car, it was below freezing. Progress, not perfection!

Will
nice, keep it up.
CurrySoSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote