KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Tranny & OBD II

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 03:15 PM
KWI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Tranny & OBD II

I've got a 2014 Cherokee with the infamous 9 speed tranny, I can't for the life of me figure out why they would mfg/market a tranny that the consumer is not able to check the fluid level, is their a device that one can cobble together to be able to check/fill the tranny fluid level yourself and where do you check it?
2nd question, my check engine light came on the other day, 1st thought was ok, they just switched to winter gas it will go out. I scanned through the vehicle info pages on the dash, and everything was normal, next i hooked up my OBD II scanner and all I got was 8888, I tried it three times, same thing, I had to take my other vehicle in and mentioned it to the service writer, Long story short, dealers scanner picked up a code for bad oil pressure switch, any clues on why my scanner would not pick up the code, it works on my other cars, is there an adapter that can be purchased for the new jeeps? also the only option i have on my screen is for oil temp, can that be changed to read oil press, i would have seen that i had no oil press.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Tranny & OBD II

You may have an old scanner ob2 hasn't been used in years and it's replacement is in the process of being replaced. Many "ob2" scanners are still capable of using newer standards but your Cherokee may be using one your scanner cannot read.

As far as the transmission. The vast majority of people will never look at the trans fluid even if they had a dipstick so they make it a dealer exclusive tool to check fluid levels. I would reccomend letting it go because without the proper tool to check the level there is a high possibility of breaking things.