KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Trailhawk Navigation Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2015 Trailhawk
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3.2L V6
Default Trailhawk Navigation Fiasco

Hi all. Last weekend my wife and I had to go to DesMoines due to my wife's sister being in the hospital. We had both written the address down ahead of time.

I tired using my navigation system for the first time. I'm assuming it's a Garmin-based system due to the voice used by the system.

So I hit the "talk" button and I say "Find address 1111 6th Ave, DesMoines, Iowa."

It calculates and then comes back with, "There is no house with that number on that road" ... or something close to that.

I tried it again, with the same results.

The I asked it to "Find Mercy Medical Center, DesMoines, Iowa". It didn't like that at all.

Then I tried asking it for "Eleven Eleven 6th Ave, DesMoines, Iowa". It comes back thinking I'm asking for 1110 6th Ave. I have no idea why.

By the way, I have near perfect diction. :-)

I gave up.

As we got closer, I told my wife to touch the EMERGENCY button, and then look for hospitals.

As she scrolled through them, wouldn't you know it. There's the hospital we've been asking it to find ... at the EXACT same address as what I had asked it for in the first place.

So my puzzlement ... why couldn't it find the location I asked it for when the exact same address is already stuffed into it's database?

Anyone else have any issues like this?
Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

I wasn't there to hear you speak the address, but I will attest the Nav system is very particular: one would need to say "one one one one... sixth avenue, Des Moines."

I have no idea how the software would interpret Des Moines, given it isn't spelled as it's pronounced.

I've had only one issue with my nav system finding the address and then taking me totally in the wrong place... and insisting it's correct!

I have always had nav systems give me grief about non-address locations. My wife's Pathfinder had no idea what "O'Hare International Airport" might be. You were right to try a street address first; I have better luck with pulling over and typing in the address rather than speaking it... especially with kids in the back seat.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:47 PM

Watchful,

I'd agree with you. I should have said that first, I said "find one one one one 6th avenue, Des Moines, Iowa".

It had no problem with "Des Moines" .. but insisted that there was no house with that number on that street.

I also tried saying "eleven eleven". That didn't work either

Then I tired "one one one one six avenue". For some reason, it thought I said one one one zero ... and some street name instead of "6th."

I almost couldn't believe it when the exact address was in the database under Emergency contacts.

I've written Chrysler's UConnect people about it. We'll see what they say.

Worth mentioning ... I "assumed" since it sounded like Garmin's female voice, it must be a Garmin system.

Garmin politely told me ... Nope ... that's Chrysler's navigation system. :-)
Old 07-24-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

That's funny. I'm glad nothing serious happened as a result of it, and congrats to you and your wife for quick thinking.

Having said that, I've found the uConnect navigation system to be significantly superior to the other manufacturers' I've experienced. Nissan's varies between models and years, and that's been a mixed bag for me. I dislike GM's nav system, but that's mostly because it's so tied into the detestable OnStar system. Subaru's is pretty bare bones and functional, but when it comes down to driving in my local area, Chrysler's seems to know the same short cuts I do and which roads to avoid. That impressed me a lot.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:56 PM
rwp

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

We have the small screen UConnect on our Cherokee without the nav. The dealer was very vague about the cost to add it. Other than the nav, the system seems to work nicely (first car I've had with this type of display). We're sticking with our standalone Garmin with maps for life. I also don't do voice well; had an issue with voice dialing cell calls.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM

I talked to FCA the other day about this. They told me that the UConnect Security Update has a large chunk of it devoted to upgrading the Navigation system. And I saw that when looking at the text code in the program. One of the 11 units it upgrades in the computer is for the Nav system.

I've updated mine but it still can't find the hospital in Des Moines.

However, he also stated that there is supposed to be another Nav update coming out in late August. They didn't have time to get it all into the UConnect Security update.

So I'll wait for that update, install it, and then see what happens.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Although I don't have a KL. I will always use my phone for navigation and calls. All that vehicle technology is too much imho. I have a windshield mount for my phone and cortana is pretty good with hearing addresses
Old 08-08-2015, 07:16 PM

Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by rwp
We have the small screen UConnect on our Cherokee without the nav. The dealer was very vague about the cost to add it. Other than the nav, the system seems to work nicely (first car I've had with this type of display). We're sticking with our standalone Garmin with maps for life. I also don't do voice well; had an issue with voice dialing cell calls.
off topic, how do you compare your upcountry xj to the kl th? been looking for a comparison since the up country was decked out...