KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Total Failure on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark
Default Total Failure on the highway

Ok, Last night while in route to a family reunion My 2.4 KL broke down..
I was driving the whole trip on cruise control.. i turned off the 4 lane onto a secondary road, old route us 23 in the middle of Pound Virginia..
a sharp curve came around and my Jeep accelerated on its own for about 3 to 5 seconds... then total system failure.. on its own accord this i what happened..
Battery Charge warnings popped up back to back on the on dash screen.. showing as follows
it accelerated on its own for about 3 to 5 seconds.. which scared the crap out of me and my passenger.
10v 9V 16v 14v and 12v
oil light changed to dead read color,
4 wheel drive was not available" its active driveII ?
all power was lost, and the motor died.
transmission seemed to be completely out.
i needed to go about 4 more miles to my destination.
it started again and took off for about 30 seconds like nothing was wrong.. then lost all power again and died as i was talking to road side assistance.
after several attempts for about an hour it started.. i basically coasted down a mountain to my destination.. normally you can hit 70 just coasting down this mountain.. i think i got up to 60?
it sputtered and spat and when i hit my grannys drive way.. eveerything was still going nutts.
after 6 starts and it dying at the back of the roll back.. it started and ran normalish.. started to go up the roll back ramp.. it accelerated hard and died..
wow.. this comes after i bragged on its super cool off road abilities..
i cant knock that part of it.. but mine is not up to par for me to continue owning it.
lol.. i cant win.. im going XJ shopping. at least i will know what i have when i get it. and instead of paying out the kulu for a new ride.. ill just fix up a 96 Cherokee Sport and take my wildlife pics, get my fish on.. and be happy.. im not going after any NEW vehicles. from this day on.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:33 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Didn't the dealership put a new engine in your KL?
Old 08-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Didn't the dealership put a new engine in your KL?
yes sir, new motor has about 3000 now.. but something bad went wrong.. all the same time.. on dry pavement..
i still love the off road ability...

Last edited by metalwonzero; 08-02-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Year: 1996

that is terrible and sounds very dangerous.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:01 PM

I read somewhere on cf that someone ordered custom from manufacturer. This isnt that one is it?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:13 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by metalwonzero
yes sir, new motor has about 3000 now.. but something bad went wrong.. all the same time.. on dry pavement..
i still love the off road ability...
Many things, electrical of course, went wrong at the same time.

Makes me wonder if a major ground connection didn't get attached correctly or a wiring harness was routed improperly during the engine install.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by crabmushrooms5
I read somewhere on cf that someone ordered custom from manufacturer. This isnt that one is it?
no, that was not me i drove up and traded.. shoulda kept rolling..
Old 08-03-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Many things, electrical of course, went wrong at the same time.

Makes me wonder if a major ground connection didn't get attached correctly or a wiring harness was routed improperly during the engine install.

i was thinking the same..
Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 PM

Default GNAR!!!

ok. i got totally ignored by the dealer and chrysler.. dealer changed my oil after i TOLD THEM the thing accelerated on its own.. and then died..
anyway.. the thing hoarked oil out of somewhere all over the engine.. all over the skids to the rear of the vehicle also.
the tech had to find the hole and stop the leak before he could diagnose it..
the tech said the low oil pressure caused the problem that the thing would go nutts and shut down..?
shutting down i understand. lots of cars wont even start with low oil pressure.
but they kept talking around the safety issue im worried about! nad have reported to everyone. i aint ever, from all the junkers ive had to hot rods to my 4 jeeps.. i have never seen anything like this where a vehicle nails the throttle on it own , then just breaks down..

well the dealer Royston of rogersville tried to break me off hard to.. instead of dealing with it properly, they would have put me in a 2 door wrangler for 4000 down.. plus my Trail Hawk at a trade in price of 20,000.
My TrailHawks Price tag is 59,532.51.. and has 6,800 miles on it.. the new engine has almost 3000.
isnt that taking care of the folks! lol.
o yes.. one of the things they are talking about is the fresh scratches on the skid plates. the dealer reported that off roading was the cause. seriously... its a jeep.. with a trail rated badge..
when the stupid started coming out of their mouth.. i had to stop playing nice..
i refused the jeep.i wont accept "we changed the oil and its good" after it took off on it own.. plus i payed out of pocket for the tow..
hope no one else gets reamed for taking their Trail Hawk on a trail if it goes nutts..
Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Dealerships have refused wranglers after DS damaged from offroading. A limb had gotten caught. Its their cop out card i guess
Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Dealerships have refused wranglers after DS damaged from offroading. A limb had gotten caught. Its their cop out card i guess
wow..
im glad it didnt happen on the trail.. would have been stranded for a while. and or piled up in a heap when it juiced it into the scrubs on it own..
its most likely preloaded software designed to test the airbags in real time.. nothing that a good ole oil change wont fix..
Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 AM

@ Cruizer their is a few cables ran in such a way the pushpin plastic things wont reach where they belong. which makes the cables way to close to the motor.. not sure if that has something to do with it.. maybe..
Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Nothing worse than getting a new vehicle and things going wrong with it. $59,000 is not pocket change and for most people it is something they save up for. With that being said, it is a real shame how crummy dealers treat their customers. After spending that much money, I would think they would do anything they could to ensure you are happy with your purchase. Its a sad, greedy world we live in.

On a side note. I recently saw a guy who saved up five years to buy a Porsche 911 only to have it constantly messing up on him. From motor issues to electrical problems, this guy has put up with a lot. Through it all Porsche has given him nothing but road blocks. He has a lot of youtube videos documenting it all.

Some manufacturers are better than others. When I had my 2011 Mustang GT I would frequent the mustang forums. Any time there was an issue with a newer mustang a customer service representative would post up asking for your cars information so they could relay this information to a local service representative and have your claim escalated.

I really hope this is resolved quickly for you. Good luck and don't give up. You paid $59,000 for a product that is not working as advertised.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Originally Posted by metalwonzero

ok. i got totally ignored by the dealer and chrysler.. dealer changed my oil after i TOLD THEM the thing accelerated on its own.. and then died..
anyway.. the thing hoarked oil out of somewhere all over the engine.. all over the skids to the rear of the vehicle also.
the tech had to find the hole and stop the leak before he could diagnose it..
the tech said the low oil pressure caused the problem that the thing would go nutts and shut down..?
shutting down i understand. lots of cars wont even start with low oil pressure.
but they kept talking around the safety issue im worried about! nad have reported to everyone. i aint ever, from all the junkers ive had to hot rods to my 4 jeeps.. i have never seen anything like this where a vehicle nails the throttle on it own , then just breaks down..

well the dealer Royston of rogersville tried to break me off hard to.. instead of dealing with it properly, they would have put me in a 2 door wrangler for 4000 down.. plus my Trail Hawk at a trade in price of 20,000.
My TrailHawks Price tag is 59,532.51.. and has 6,800 miles on it.. the new engine has almost 3000.
isnt that taking care of the folks! lol.
o yes.. one of the things they are talking about is the fresh scratches on the skid plates. the dealer reported that off roading was the cause. seriously... its a jeep.. with a trail rated badge..
when the stupid started coming out of their mouth.. i had to stop playing nice..
i refused the jeep.i wont accept "we changed the oil and its good" after it took off on it own.. plus i payed out of pocket for the tow..
hope no one else gets reamed for taking their Trail Hawk on a trail if it goes nutts..
Wooooooooow. You may need lemon aid...

I hope things get better for ya. $20k on a trade in for a wrangler isn't a good solution. What about a return? **** the damn thing obviously is defective, replaced and engine now this.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by DieselD
Wooooooooow. You may need lemon aid...

I hope things get better for ya. $20k on a trade in for a wrangler isn't a good solution. What about a return? **** the damn thing obviously is defective, replaced and engine now this.
id like to have a functional trailhawk, really.. other than coming out of the box with glitches, and what ever went down with mine.. the size and offroad ability is what i want.
just not this one , not now.
i am going to compare this event to a smartphone glitching.. one minute its brain freezes and becomes unresponsive, then nothing goes wrong for a long time then it goes crashing or freezing again.
id suggest bringing back a cable for the foot to operate less human error involved, i say this because the computer software controlling the unit was programmed/designed by a person and not perfected, if it was we would be talking about how well it does in all other aspects..

Quick Reply: Total Failure on the highway