KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Reliability of newer Cherokees?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Reliability of newer Cherokees?

I'm a long time Wrangler/CJ owner, but the wife is looking at the new Cherokees. A buddy sent me a link to an article about all the recalls the 2014-2015 Cherokees and GCs have had, and the new probe into the gear shift.

With 18 recalls (13 for the GC and 5 for the Cherokee) on a model year that is barely 18 months old, I'm a little concerned about the reliability.

I figured I would go where the current owners are and ask this. Should I be worried about buying a Cherokee? How bad are these problems? Have many of you actually experience them? Would you recommend a Cherokee to anyone?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Feel free to browse our KL section. Many gripes, more than a couple legit problems, and three people that have had no problems in the 1500 miles that they've driven.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f87/
Old 02-16-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by NerfHerder
I'm a long time Wrangler/CJ owner, but the wife is looking at the new Cherokees. A buddy sent me a link to an article about all the recalls the 2014-2015 Cherokees and GCs have had, and the new probe into the gear shift.

With 18 recalls (13 for the GC and 5 for the Cherokee) on a model year that is barely 18 months old, I'm a little concerned about the reliability.

I figured I would go where the current owners are and ask this. Should I be worried about buying a Cherokee? How bad are these problems? Have many of you actually experience them? Would you recommend a Cherokee to anyone?
If you're in the market for a KL Cherokee, I'd steer you away and toward a Honda CRV, Nissan Rogue, Buick Encore/Enclave...

The 9-speed tranny Jeep is using in the Cherokee and Renegade is a tremendous shame.

The Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are completely different vehicles, so I always get confused when people talk about them in the same breath as if they're the same.

The last Jeep I trust enough to buy were the 06 TJ, 04 WJ, and 01 XJ. If someone was offering me a free diesel WK2 or a loaded JK, I'd probably take it, though.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by mschi772
The 9-speed tranny Jeep is using in the Cherokee and Renegade is a tremendous shame.

The Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are completely different vehicles, so I always get confused when people talk about them in the same breath as if they're the same.
^This, The 9-speed ZF transmission has been a real disaster, given how many have failed with only a few thousand miles, I can't wait to see what happens in a few years when most of these have 50-100k mi on them.

I still have a hard time understanding why KL Cherokees sell so well, especially with the major issues they have had. At the low end a Patriot is substantially cheaper (especially with the discounts they have now since it is the last year for the current model), has proven reliability (albeit with a rather cheap interior), and better off-road ability (for 4X4 Patriots obviously) than a non-Trilhawk/ADII KL, you can get a nearly loaded Patriot for the price of a stripped down 4-cyl 4X4 KL Sport. On the high end a Grand Cherokee is a substantially better vehicle (though they are known for electrical issues) for only slightly more than a loaded-up KL.

If you need real significant off-road ability and are willing to sacrifice on-road comfort for it, a 4-door Wrangler is in the same price range as the KL and will run circles around even a KL Trailhawk off-road.

If you don't have to have a Jeep badge the Subaru Forester/Outback/Crosstrek are decent CUVs capable of"light" off-roading (anything you are likely to do in a non-Trailhawk/ADII KL), with much better reliability.

If you don't have any need for off-road ability at all, most other CUVs are better options than the KL.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by dmill89
I still have a hard time understanding why KL Cherokees sell so well
Most people are incredibly ignorant, and the sales guys (many of which are equally ignorant) prey on them with great success.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Year: 2001

ive got 3500 miles ive put on my 2016 latitude, 0 big issues.

We got a million mile powertrain warranty on ours...so we bit and purchased it.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 PM

Year: 2016
Engine: V6

+1
Old 02-18-2016, 05:14 AM

2014 kl here.

I am getting my kl back today after being in the shop for 3 days for tranny repair when they were supposed to be replacing the valve body on the transmission. I don't know what the fix was yet but I am going to make a post about it so everyone knows. The recalls don't concern me as much as all the TSBs that are out. All that may be applicable to my vehicle are in fact applicable to my vehicle. I am 6k miles away from end of warranty and new TSBs are coming out every day.

I have been to the dealer 4 times now for a conglomeration of stuff. While they have fix everything no problem.

Check this out:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f76/tsb-an...kee-71873.html

My favorite TSB is the 2015 Crankshaft out of tolerance. The engine could go out. The fix is an new engine. How is that not a recall.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Our local dealership did away with the unlimited powertrain warranty right after the KL hit showroom floors. And that list of TSBs is ridiculous.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Basshark7
Our local dealership did away with the unlimited powertrain warranty right after the KL hit showroom floors. And that list of TSBs is ridiculous.
For good reason, and seriously, who can blame them? Man, the KL is a real turd. No offense to anyone that bought one, but if I were you I'd sell it. We all make mistakes, better to get out of it if you can.

I bought a brand new 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, and I loved that thing. But Chrysler totally botched up the EGR system and the transmission torque converter on the Deisel, and the technicians were clueless for the most part about working on them. After two years, and countless dealer trips, I got out from under it. I hated to lose the money, but I had no comfort level with the CRD.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Year: 2001

The majority of issues seem to be software related, ive yet to see a real mechanical failure in a KL...

I got the 3.2 and have unlimited warranty..so im pretty care free.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 02tjsport
2014 kl here.

I am getting my kl back today after being in the shop for 3 days for tranny repair when they were supposed to be replacing the valve body on the transmission. I don't know what the fix was yet but I am going to make a post about it so everyone knows. The recalls don't concern me as much as all the TSBs that are out. All that may be applicable to my vehicle are in fact applicable to my vehicle. I am 6k miles away from end of warranty and new TSBs are coming out every day.

I have been to the dealer 4 times now for a conglomeration of stuff. While they have fix everything no problem.

Check this out:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f76/tsb-an...kee-71873.html

My favorite TSB is the 2015 Crankshaft out of tolerance. The engine could go out. The fix is an new engine. How is that not a recall.
Originally Posted by Xj88
The majority of issues seem to be software related, ive yet to see a real mechanical failure in a KL...

I got the 3.2 and have unlimited warranty..so im pretty care free.

Just got my jeep back today from having rear axles replaced as well as the transmission valve body. They had to take the cover off the transmission to replace the valve body and they also replaced a wiring harness to it. They also did the trans relearn procedure.

I've also had the front axles replaced with a thicker version, exhaust resonator replaced, liftgate electrical cover fixed, body control module reprogrammed and grounding strap replaced. I have it in the shop 4 times in less than 7000 miles.

I also think my tensioner/pulley is going out as it intermittently makes noise in cold weather starts, but I cant get it to do it since the weather has warmed up.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:33 PM

Year: 2016
Engine: 3.2

Hi All, I'm new to the forum. So if I be in the wrong place, toss my butt out where it belongs.
3000 miles on a 2016 Cherokee 3.2 Limited. I've had noisy brakes from the get go. So I called the hot line and got a case worker on it.
First time in the shop, 4 new brake pads. Same.
2d time in , 2 rotors and pads on the front. Same
Still making scraping sound.
Comes down to after all this crap, it's the semi metallic brake pads!! The corporation said I could put ceramic pads on at no cost,,BUT,, if something happened because of the brakes they would not cover it.
Another thing. The case worker said no one else has complained yet.
......I'm staring to get a little paranoid here......

Thanks in advanced.
Ron
Old 02-19-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I haven't heard that one yet. I don't know about the DD automotive market but in the racing world ceramic brakes are used because when they heat up they don't fade, but at the same time they don't work as well until they reach a certain temperature. Don't worry Ron, you are in one of several potential right places. Welcome to the Forums.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:33 PM

Everything is a compromise, ceramic pads are quiet but they can eat up rotors faster.

Quick Reply: Reliability of newer Cherokees?