KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

New Jeep Cherokee Owner here, transmission problem (non-tech)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New Jeep Cherokee Owner here, transmission problem (non-tech)

Hi guys, first car owner here, don't know anything about cars and I apologise in advance if I'm posting in the wrong section of the forums.

So we bought a 'Jeep Cherokee Limited (4X4) KL Transmission 9A with standard trim and 3.2L MPFI V6' about 2 weeks ago and my parents who have driven the car since have been telling me that when changing gears, there would be a 1-2 second delay (gear is slow to engage)

With this being a brand new car, we took it to our dealer and got it checked, and we got back a maintenance report that suggested:

"Customer to keep driving due to vehicle is in learning process. For vehicle to adapt customer driving style, vehicle need to be driven at least 3 to 4K [thousand] kilometers"

Just wanted to know if this is a problem that is known? Is this supposed "learning process" bs? and should I be concerned about this at all? Would someone be able to give me a layman's explanation of what's going on here ?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:10 PM

Year: 2014
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by NewJeepCherokeeOwner
Hi guys, first car owner here, don't know anything about cars and I apologise in advance if I'm posting in the wrong section of the forums.

So we bought a 'Jeep Cherokee Limited (4X4) KL Transmission 9A with standard trim and 3.2L MPFI V6' about 2 weeks ago and my parents who have driven the car since have been telling me that when changing gears, there would be a 1-2 second delay (gear is slow to engage)

With this being a brand new car, we took it to our dealer and got it checked, and we got back a maintenance report that suggested:

"Customer to keep driving due to vehicle is in learning process. For vehicle to adapt customer driving style, vehicle need to be driven at least 3 to 4K [thousand] kilometers"

Just wanted to know if this is a problem that is known? Is this supposed "learning process" bs? and should I be concerned about this at all? Would someone be able to give me a layman's explanation of what's going on here ?
if its not shifting correctly they should have flashed it with up to date software.. which should already have been addressed by now. considering that was a big issue earlier this year..
and yes their is about a month/so many miles that it will program its self to the drivers driving style.. mine smoothed out after the reflashing and then got way smoother after about a month...
Old 11-25-2014, 10:33 PM

Year: 1997/2014
Engine: 4.0L I6/3.2 V6

The "learning period" is a real thing. With the highly computerized engine and transmission it figures out how you drive and adapts over time. Its great if you drive the same way all the time, but does take a little while to smooth out
Old 11-26-2014, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by lighttoast
The "learning period" is a real thing. With the highly computerized engine and transmission it figures out how you drive and adapts over time. Its great if you drive the same way all the time, but does take a little while to smooth out
i heard, they have like.... 6 computers? 5 and a main..? im not sure how they are daisy chained? or if that was even correct? i have not looked into it..
but yea.. it shifts kinda sloppy at first,
and keep in mind it has DAWG CLUTCHES, so you may hear some metal clanking together, it will also go away once it breaks in.. these things make some crazy noises.. even the E brake zzzrrp lol
Old 12-30-2014, 01:28 AM

Year: 2015
Engine: 2.4

The Transmission DOES "learn" how you like to drive and will shift that way.

If you want a quick car drive it that way, if you want a easy, smooth shifting car drive it that way.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalCherokee
The Transmission DOES "learn" how you like to drive and will shift that way.

If you want a quick car drive it that way, if you want a easy, smooth shifting car drive it that way.
the traction control seems to be effected by said programming...
Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I used to work at a Jeep dealership. Drove these things as soon as they came out. This is true. nothing to be alarmed about.

also, another thing to look into is the transmission itself. 2 of the gear changes are slightly different than then rest. I believe its 3-4 and 6-7. They use dog clutches or something like that. which may also be a little bit of what you're experiencing.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:32 PM

Year: 2015
Default hard shifting

The 9 speeds have a software issue that Chrysler has not fixed yet. There's been one recall for new software but it didn't seem to help.
I've driven about 20k km and find it shifts hard in sport mode but a bit better in snow mode.
I have heard flashing (or whatever Jeep calls it) the ECM is quite the process. I work for a Cat dealer and its a breeze to re-flash an ECM with new software.
Anyone else notice hard shifting on their 9 speed?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The manual version is difficult from third to fourth.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
The manual version is difficult from third to fourth.
what a lovely simplistic layout.. those guys are great!