KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Jeep Cherokee Death Wobble

Old 05-05-2016, 05:23 PM
rfk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Jeep Cherokee Death Wobble

I own a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited with Active Drive II which I paid extra for so that I could Flat Tow behind my Motorhome. I have taken the Motorhome out twice with the Cherokee behind it and have had a problem with the Cherokee wandering while towing. I had it checked out and nothing wrong. Then in reading some online articles found out that there is a problem with the Cherokee Chrysler sent out a new owners manual page stating "Do not Flat Tow without seeing your dealer and getting the Flat Tow wiring kit" I went to the dealer and they had no Idea what I was talking about. after three days and many phone calls to Chrysler Customer Service and finally getting a part Number which is not in their system and cannot be ordered. After more time and checking finally found part number that works and found out that the part is on National Back Order. The main rub is that Chrysler does not give you the part or install it for FREE I have to pay for it and also need the check and run the car every three hours to keep the battery charged up.
This is very bad customer service to sell me something that they say will do what I want it to and then to make me pay for the fix and it still doesn't make the car do what it was advertised to do

SHAME ON YOU CHRYSLER YOU SOLD ME A LEMON
Old 05-05-2016, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Fiat sold you a vehicle not intended to do what you wanted. That's not a lemon.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

Originally Posted by rfk
This is very bad customer service to sell me something that they say will do what I want it to and then to make me pay for the fix and it still doesn't make the car do what it was advertised to do

SHAME ON YOU CHRYSLER YOU SOLD ME A LEMON
Not a lemon, just new cars

Run far away from any new Chrysler products...
Old 05-06-2016, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

Should have got an XJ. They make great toads.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by odgreen
Fiat sold you a vehicle not intended to do what you wanted. That's not a lemon.
I guess not but it sure might be considered breach of contract. My dealer had documentation that I wanted to tow a Cherokee with a transfer case and no need to draw power from the motorhome. I was NOT informed of the nonsense of a fuse and switch and the need for power. Of course, FCA didn't know that it screwed up as it likely didn't test flat towing.

So, we paid and they DID NOT deliver what was promised in the manual and advertising. I believe it is now about two years since FCA was informed of the problem and we still cannot get the wiring kit. There is also a lot of confusion as to who pays but what I received from FCA makes it clear they pay. FCA should be paying for the power connection as well.

Frankly, I can see a class action coming if FCA doesn't get off its butt and make good on what it promised - and soon. I've never been inclined to join a class action in the past but in this case my resistance is wearing thin.

I went through something like this in the 80s with those "executive driven, speedometer disconnect often crashed LeBaron GTS models." They had the nerve to tell me I was fortunate to buy a car that had been executive test driven (and mine was crashed) It took a knock up to the head of Chrysler to get a fair response from them.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

I must be missing something here. Why would you need power from the towing vehicle to the towed vehicle.?
Old 05-29-2016, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
I must be missing something here. Why would you need power from the towing vehicle to the towed vehicle.?
Electric steering.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:20 PM

Not sure if this something that might help. I have been reading all about the wobble. I just got my Cherokee Trailhawk. Taking it on Tuesday to have the wiring harness installed. I all am having a RVI battery tender installed that will charge the battery while it is being towed. RVI battery tender is $50.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:27 PM

Yesterday I provided the Service Manager with Service Bulletin KL-08-022-16 which makes it very clear that the wiring kit is to be installed under warranty.

Today he confirmed there will be no charge provided I'm not our of warranty (it isn't).

Of course I still have to pay for a electrical power kit to be installed. I feel FCA should be paying to the power line that has to be run from the MH to the Cherokee to keep the battery from going flat.

GR
Old 06-08-2016, 05:17 PM

Kit installed - took them about 5 hours. NO CHARGE. Installation was clean and it is not difficult to use - just another two steps. They suggest a power supply to the battery if towing for more than 3 hours.

Any recommendations for a power supply?

GR
Old 06-08-2016, 09:03 PM

Has anyone heard anything from FCA as to fixing this problem on the 2017 models so you
will not need to add the harness?
Old 06-08-2016, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by green69
Has anyone heard anything from FCA as to fixing this problem on the 2017 models so you
will not need to add the harness?
Just a guess on my part. I have a feeling that the wiring kit for towing will become a dealer installed option with a factory set price (I've read of $220 charges and $500 charges for this instal that was to be covered by warranty. I doubt they would want to install it on every unit with ADII. It kind of reminds me of the Neutral Kit that Ford Explorer owners (the previous first edition Explorers) had to have installed for a few hundred bucks if they wanted to tow.

I just can't see them making it a factory production line option. Having said that, it might well be cheaper if they had it installed during the build as I doubt it take the same time it does as an after-market addition.

Some of people in or close to the industry can possibly give a better guess.

Frankly, if they had laid it on the table when I bought that if I was towing the kit would cost, say, $200, I'd have thought about it and might have agreed - but the rethink would have been about having to add power from the MH.

GR
Old 07-12-2016, 06:46 PM

Had the wiring harness installed a day ago. Check engine lite came on after driving about 45 miles. Back to dealer, reset lite, drove about 10 miles and light on again. Back to dealer the next day, found a blown fuse. Don't know what fuse, the tech who worked on it was gone. First harness they had ever installed and don't know anything about it. One tech tells me to leave the 10 amp in the harness yet the flat tow users guide says to take it out. Also can you still flat tow with the toggle switch off and fuse out?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:24 PM

Oliver if the fuse is out and toggle off, it is like the harness is not installed. So yes you can. You might develop the wobble.
I have been told not to leave the fuse in. Will drain battery.
When the dealer installed mine they had not done another before either. THey accidentally disconnected a few other connections. Took them a while to figure it out. If you're having issues I would have them recheck the installation espcially the associated wiring in the center console where the wiring runs thru.
Let me know what you find out.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Oliver220
Had the wiring harness installed a day ago. Check engine lite came on after driving about 45 miles. Back to dealer, reset lite, drove about 10 miles and light on again. Back to dealer the next day, found a blown fuse. Don't know what fuse, the tech who worked on it was gone. First harness they had ever installed and don't know anything about it. One tech tells me to leave the 10 amp in the harness yet the flat tow users guide says to take it out. Also can you still flat tow with the toggle switch off and fuse out?
What year is your vehicle? I would bring it back to the dealer for further diagnosis. If you need further assistance, let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jeep Cherokee Death Wobble