KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Interested in a KL.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Interested in a KL.

As the title implies. Looking into a Jeep Cherokee. I'm pretty tall and tired of falling into my 09 honda accord. Would like something a little higher up, but can't really afford a full SUV nor do I want that gas bill.

I really like the Altitude for the color scheme. But also the TH for just being topnotch. I probably wouldn't try to rock climb cause I can't fork the bill if something goes wrong. Rather some light trails with my fiancé to get away.
However, my buddy keeps saying 4x4 and v6 or nothing. I wouldn't mind the v6 just cause I've always had a v4. Want some power. Also I live in CA so not much crazy weather going on other than heat.

I noticed for some reason today, not sure if I'm confusing myself, but prices seem to have dropped a little. Maybe end of the year? But thought it would have been going on by now.
Main reason I joined to post.
Anyways. If you could take a look at these please and tell me if actually worth.

msrp:34,905 going: 28,415

msrp:35,675 going: 27,500

TH pretty bare bones..

TLDR: Like Jeep. Which is better? Worth?

Thanks for any replies, and love all your jeeps
Old 12-30-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

I have the V6 Trailhawk and find it provides sufficient power, and I can't imagine I'd find the 4 cylinder agreeable at this point.

I can say that the mileage is NOT as good as advertised: short trips average me about 19mpg, and highway driving is only up to 22mpg. But the gas tank is big so I can fill up when prices dip without sweating running low on fuel.

Interior head room is just okay. I can tell you that if you're taller and get the sun roof, your hair will bump the underside of the interior fabric. Do a test drive if you haven't!
Old 12-31-2015, 01:37 PM
JJM

Default Love Mine

So - I own a 2014 TH - LOVE IT. I cant tell you about the difference between the V6 and L4 but I can ell you that the V6 gives me what I need and the TH is more capable than what it shows. I can see you not needing a 4x4 in CA, but if you go a little bit off-road, you may wish you had a 4x4 when you see a trail you want to follow. I agree with the mileage, I don't do better than 19 in short trips, however I can easily average 25+ on long trips (Denver to Grand Junction), so I think it all depends on driving styles.

You did say you were pretty tall, I am not (5'7" on a hot summer day) but I will assume the seat on the Cherokee will suffice for you.

Good Luck on the search.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:11 PM

Many thanks for the replies.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:45 PM

Just purchased a TH with a V6, so glad we did too. Came from a little gas sippin 4 banger. Couldn't wait to purge that thing. Don't know where you are in Cali but if your are in the South, you are going to want that V6 so you have the power to go up the grades to the mountains and to cover the ground required to get to the sites.

Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I would pass on ANY Cherokee that is a KL.

A guy at work has one. The dealer replaced the transmission & he is having issues with the replacement transmission.

Personally, I'd buy a 2 door Rubicon. They are $30k.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:05 AM

Year: 2016
Engine: V6

I guess mine wasn't built on a Friday.
Lovin it.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Big David

A guy at work has one. The dealer replaced the transmission & he is having issues with the replacement transmission.

^This, I'd extend that to anything with the 9-speed ZF auto until they work the "bugs" out of it (that could take years if ever).

If you don't mind the rather "utilitarian" interior, old platform, and 4-cyl only (the Patriot is a lot lighter tha n the KL though so the 2.4L doesn't struggle as much in it) the Patriot is probably a better bet (especially if you get the 6-speed Hyundai auto rather than the Jatco CVT). It is cheaper, has better off-road capability in FDI form than non-ADII/Trailhawk KLs, and has a much better reliability record.

The Subaru Forester is also a decent option if you need a Crossover with the capability to handle some light off-roading.

If you do a lot of "serious" off-roading and are willing to sacrifice on-road ride, noise, vibration, etc. a Wrangler is probably the best option.

If you don't need any off-road capability at all there are a ton of options that are likely a better bet than the KL right now.

If you "have to have" a KL, I'd recommend leasing it rather than buying, I wouldn't want to own a vehicle with that 9-speed auto out of warranty. You may get lucky and get a "good" one, but the failure rate on these is very high and out of warranty it would be a very expensive repair (the 9-speed auto is very complicated and expensive to work on compared to "normal" 4-6 speed autos).
Old 01-10-2016, 04:28 PM

Really? So the guy I know who had a crappy Rubicon means no one should buy one of those, based on this logic?

How come so many of us in the KL forum have had great experiences with ours? And haven't had any transmission issues? Is it possible... maybe... that these old stories of the first batch of trannies don't apply anymore?

We GET it, already. You hate the KL. Thanks for reading this part of the forum.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Watchful
We GET it, already. You hate the KL. Thanks for reading this part of the forum.
Way to jump to conclusions. I never said I hated it, I love the interior. But that's the only thing worth having. You can go get yourself a KL & enjoy trying to get Jeep to fix it over & over again.
A lady I know just hers back from the dealer, almost 2 months later. This is not the first time shes had to take it in. Personally, I don't want to be paying on a new vehicle while it sits at the shop.

The few KLs I know of have/ had problems. I know a lot of people with JKs & have not hear any complaints. I'd rather take my chances on a Rubicon than on any vehicle that I know has issues.

I posted here to give the OP real world experiences. Sorry if you don't agree with the facts.
Good luck & good day.

Last edited by Big David; 01-10-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:05 PM

I read the risks of the KL transmissions and decided to take the leap. After dealing with a 2012 ford focus automatic issues, what could be worse? From what I've seen the tranny issues have been diminishing since 2013 and unlike ford, chrysler at least seems to having luck correcting/fixing the issue. Ours is 500 miles young and we are keeping our fingers crossed. Reason why we bought the bumper to bumper lifetime warranty. I know, I know, expensive blah, blah, blah but just gun shy after that focus.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:37 PM

I posted here to give the OP real world experiences. Sorry if you don't agree with the facts.
Do you own a KL or not?
Old 01-11-2016, 05:12 PM

Thank you for the many responses.
I don't think I'd do crazy off roading. Just something to get out into nature. With extra room (reason no rubicon) since kid will be popping out soon and plan on getting a dog once in new condo.

Again thank you for the responses. All the information is helpful.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Watchful
Do you own a KL or not?
Not that it really matters but no, thank God. BTW, the guy at work has a 2014 & got his back yesterday & it seems to be doing fine..... for now.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:38 PM

Year: '96

I finally sold my 250,000 mile XJ and bought an off lease 2014 KL. Is it an XJ? No. Will it climb a tree like an XJ? No. Has it been a comfortable, reliable vehicle that does well in snow? Absolutely.

I have noticed some odd shifts but no problems on this jeep with now 17,000 miles of DD use. I wouldn't want the 4 cyl as I like the power of the 6 cyl. It has plenty of power to get to freeway speed in a hurry (for an SUV).
I'd like the TH for the looks but I have no intention of serious off roading in this. If I want to do that I'll find another XJ. Even the Latitude will I suspect, handle what 95% of the people will throw at it.
Regarding the back and forth about "My friend has one always in the shop" I've talked to several KL owners and have yet to hear the horror stories. Frankly, satisfied customers are not vocal customers. Considering the sales volume I'd guess that very few have the problems we hear about as a percentage of sales.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interested in a KL.