KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

High pitched ring

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default High pitched ring

So I have a new 2016 trailhawk. After the engine has heated up when I am in drive, neutral or reverse it makes a high pitched ringing that appears to be coming from around the rear wheels. It goes away as I accelerate past a certain speed. I looked up some other forums and they said it may be the "black box" that coordinates the axles with four wheel drive and such. Does this sound right? I made a video demonstrating the problem but I am having difficulty uploading it.
How long would a problem like this normally take to resolve? This is my daily driver so I need it. Also, how much damage could be caused by driving it around with this problem?
Thanks!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:59 PM

Model: Cherokee

I also have a 2016 I just got this past weekend. I noticed a high pitched ring while messing around in 4 low and playing with the 4wd settings. I think it is just something it does as the 4wd system seems to make a lot of noise while actuating and stuff that it needs to do in the auto mode. I wouldn't worry about it
Old 03-11-2020, 12:32 AM

Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2 petrol

For future searches - if this is like a REALLY high pitched tone almost like a dog whistle, it's the RDM hyd motor running when it shouldn't.

There was stuff going around about fixes like putting polymer washers on the pump motor bolts etc. - but eventually there was a bulletin about it - it's a "if customer complains" type one and involves reflashing or replacing the RDM control module (it's a software fault).

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/Misc/Cheroke..._03_003_16.pdf