KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Headlight bulb access

Old 12-29-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Headlight bulb access

So I've seen a few clips showing and access panel in the wheel wells but my 2016 Sport doesn't have those. I had thought about creating and access panel or is it pretty simple to peel back the liner to access the bulbs.

thanks
Old 02-27-2017, 10:12 AM

Year: 2015 Trailhawk
Engine: 3.2L V6

Coltar15, I just happened to see your post today. I've got a 2015 Trailhawk that I wanted to put HID's into since the stock halogen's are horrible. Like you, there is no access panel. I might have been able to do the job without all the work I went through. But I ended up taking the wheels off each side, then unfastening all the fasteners. Unfortunately, I had to go to Harbor Freight to get a plastic pop-rivet tool and some plastic pop rivets because Jeep decided to use one plastic pop-rivet for each fender liner up under the front of the bumper. So is it simple to peel back the liner? Not in my experience. :-(
Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM

Still waiting on the weather so I can have a full day just in case but Since I have so many tools from when I worked on my ol XJ this shouldnt be to bad
Old 05-24-2017, 10:53 PM

Year: 2017
Engine: 4cyl

I can't believe someone took their wheels off to access the bulbs. I wish I would've seen this earlier to help that man out. I have the 17' Cherokee sport that comes with HID's but they're too yellow looking (3500k 35w). So I went online and ordered 5000k 35w replacement bulbs and switched them out. The bulb size is D3S or DS3, one of those two. The driver's side I was able to get to without removing the battery, and the passenger side I popped out the clips on the wheel well and was easily able to access the passenger bulb. Hope this helps anyone having trouble!
Old 07-02-2017, 08:55 AM

After waiting months. and having to re-order bulbs( need 9005 not 9012) I finally swapped out bulbs. Installed Phillips bright white xenon look bulbs. Was actually pretty easy on the drivers side, going through the wheel well. The passenger side was a bit different as you have to reach around the cold air intake tube. Now that the new bulbs are in, I don't like the pattern. They just don't seem to be hitting the road where I'd like to see them. I'm going to try rotating them in the assembly to see if that makes a difference
Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 AM

This morning I went to pull the new bulbs and the drivers side is "stuck" I cant get the tabs to align correctly to release the bulb. Having a badly twisted ankle doesn't help as I cant get my jack out to the jeep to remove the wheel. Being able to only get one hand on this thing and no tools in there at the same time is frustrating as hell. I want my ol XJ! Anyone else encounter this issue?
Old 07-29-2017, 10:09 PM

So is it true that you have to take the wheel off?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 AM

You don't have to but if you want to get both hands in there and see what the heck you are doing, it helps
Old 10-05-2023, 11:29 PM

Default Inner fender cover

Has anyone found aftermarket Inner fender covers with headlight access covers like Grand Cherokee?