KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Flat towing problems with 2015 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2015
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default Flat towing problems with 2015 Cherokee

We purchased a 2015 Cherokee Latitude with the V6 and Active Drive II 4x4 transmission, Blue Ox tow bar and base plate and the RoadMaster Even Brake system for flat towing behind MH.
After towing the car from Chicago to Texas, it would not recognize the keyless entry fobs. None of the remote functions would work from the fobs.
Took it to the nearest dealer, it took them a week to get the right parts. They replaced some modules, a network module and a brake module, I think. All under warranty.
Problem, just finished towing it across Texas and it is doing it again! Same problem.
Question, since the vehicle computers are never really “off”, could the application of the brakes with the Even Brake system while towing cause the computes to “wake up” and then get really confused because the wheels are turning and the engine is off?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Disconnect the Even Brake System and see if the problem repeats.

If you keep on tearing up your Cherokee, they will deny your warranty claims. The Jeep is not defective. It's not FCAs responsibility to fix your owner-caused problems.

You need to contact Roadmaster and see if their stuff is compatible with your new Cherokee.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:06 PM

Year: 2015
Engine: V6

Checked with RoadMaster they now think that their ICX transmitter for the Even Brake system may be on the same frequency as the RF Hub. RoadMaster now suggests that the cars battery be disconnected when towing and installing a direct connection to the battery for the ICX transmitter module to power that while towing. I will try towing without using the transmitter.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:02 PM

Default 2014 Trailhawk flat tow

We have a 2014 Trailhawk that we flat tow behind our Motorhome without any problems, the dealer we purchased from did the installation of tow bar, lights and Unified Tow Brake, I had to take it back to the dealer a couple of times for him to get the brakes working correctly but after it was adjusted correctly it ha worked great. The only problem I have had was with one of auto insurance company's devices that plugs into the test connection that tells them how you are driving, one day I got into my Trailhawk and it would not move in any gear forward or reverse had to have it towed to the dealer where they had to reprogram the TMC and told me not to use it again the TMC had 50 fault codes.