KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

2015 Cherokee Altitude 4x4 with 3.2L possible?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2015 Cherokee Altitude 4x4 with 3.2L possible?

Hello everyone my name is Gunnar and i'm new to the forum. I am Looking to purchase a new Cherokee here within the next couple months if everything with my new job goes as planned. I am in need of a 4x4 model with the 3.2L V6. I was extremely interested in the trailhawk model until I came across the Altitude package. I really do love the way it looks and used the online builder to build one to my exact specifications, however this is where my questions come in. After completing the online builder I click search inventory to see if there are any like it on dealer lots. It just so happens that just about every single altitude model is either FWD only and has a 2.4L or is 4x4 but only has a 2.4L and not the 3.2L. This leads me to believe that while you may be able to build one with 4x4 and 3.2L but does Jeep actually produce such model at all? Maybe would it work out as a special order from a dealer? Any answers to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

Welcome, and your suspicions are correct: while the online tool helps you build one, that doesn't mean a dealer near you ordered one to those exact specifications.

Dealers, as I understand it, try to anticipate demand, and they look to what's trending. Apparently, 6 cylinder Altitudes with 4x4 aren't in as much demand as 4 cylinder FWDs.

You can keep looking or broaden your search. Or you can call a couple dealers and see if they can order one from another dealership but of course that will increase the costs versus one they have in inventory.

It's also worth calling around. I did what you did: specified out a 6-cylinder, 4x4 Trailhawk with cold weather and technology packages. I found a dealer near me online that had some with most of those options, but when I called one I discovered they had TWO exactly like I wanted (right down to the colors) that just came in that weren't on their online inventory yet.

Bought it that day.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

When I was looking at Audi Q5, the dealer put what I was looking for into their system and they were able to see around America what dealership had it and then there's the charge to destination it. Your best bet I to go there in person and poke around a bit. And yes, they want to get rid of inventory first before anything else
Old 08-31-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks guys for the information. I have done quite a bit more research since my original post and have found some promising information. I have come to find out that the Inventory search tool on Jeeps website it quite inaccurate compared to Autotrader. I was able to enter all the options I wanted on Autotrader and actually found several Altitude models with the V6 as well as 4x4 and even the tow package and upgraded sound system I want. While I happen to live in Austin and they are only located in the North Texas/Oklahoma areas it does prove that Jeep does produce them and are available. I will talk to a dealer near me and see if I can grab one before they are gone and the new year models are out.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by gunnar22
Ok thanks guys for the information. I have done quite a bit more research since my original post and have found some promising information. I have come to find out that the Inventory search tool on Jeeps website it quite inaccurate compared to Autotrader. I was able to enter all the options I wanted on Autotrader and actually found several Altitude models with the V6 as well as 4x4 and even the tow package and upgraded sound system I want. While I happen to live in Austin and they are only located in the North Texas/Oklahoma areas it does prove that Jeep does produce them and are available. I will talk to a dealer near me and see if I can grab one before they are gone and the new year models are out.
Cool
if you're serious on buying one, talk to the dealer ASAP and he can get it too you. In the meantime, test drive a similar V6 so you get the feel of it.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Yeah, like the others say, 3.2L and 4X4 aren't as popular. Jeep won't let you Build-and-Price a 2016 model Cherokee yet, but at this point, since dealers are just getting in 2016 model Cherokees, you probably can't order a 2015 model anymore. It's just like that for 2016, the base Sport model will apparently be offered with the 3.2L (FINALLY) but I'll bet that a lot of dealers won't have them in-stock.

I'd order one if you really want one in that configuration. The Altitude is only a Latitude with "blacked-out" details, so if you don't care about those extra styling details, you should be able to find a Latitude model equipped the way you want it with a 3.2L and with 4X4. Many dealers can even search other dealer's lots nationwide and transfer the Jeep you want that they have to your dealer. That's how my dad got his 2005 WK Grand Cherokee, the dealer we liked to deal with found it in Long Island, NY and transferred it by truck-and-trailer here to MD where we got it. Also, if one like you want is on-order from the factory to be put onto the dealer's lot, they'll put a hold on it for you if you ask them to... that's how we got our old 2002 WJ Grand Cherokee (NOT the one I have now, I got that used)... it was on its way from the factory and when it got to the dealer, it didn't even get put onto the lot, we had a hold put on it for us when it was still being built. Good luck!