Newbie non owner looking to buy, have ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Newbie non owner looking to buy, have ?

Hello and thanks of taking a look at my post. I have a few random thoughts in the following I'm looking for feed back on.

I'm in the market for a XJ and live in the DC area. I would like to hear from some owners around the country about any tips you can share on getting a rig in from your area, what to look for what to avoid.

I can buy from virtually any where so location is not an issue. I am mostly concerned with the one thing I can't fix i.e.: rust? Where, on the car, do they tend to start corroding what areas of the country have the worst, best? What should I look out for on cars form NC,SC,GA,FL? South west is also an option for buying and I'm headed to UT for two weeks of vacation in May, I could get one during the trip if I find one I like.

Any other tips about buying also helpful and welcome?

I've heard about 0331 heads but starting to think they are just sensitive to over heating not necessarily prone to cracking.

Normally I would build my own rig but there are so many, seemingly, nice one's (from pix and descriptions) out there I may get one that is already lifted and has bumpers +++.......

Any input is useful and appreciated since I've never had a Jeep. Please be as technical as you like I'm an expert mechanic. I'm actually considering buy a motor to freshen up before I even get a XJ.

Best regards, thanks in advance

Tom

Last edited by IBTLP; 04-12-2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-12-2015, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Welcome along from over the water, I drive a diesel with no rust but hey a few miles away.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by bullettooth2008
Welcome along from over the water, I drive a diesel with no rust but hey a few miles away.
Hey, BT08. diesel huh? My other cars a 7.3 turbo diesel F250. Nice to meet you. What part of UK are you in? I lived in Knutsford, just south of MAN, for 3 years while I was over on a assignment.

Cheers,

T
Old 04-12-2015, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0
Default Newbie non owner looking to buy, have ?

Welcome to the forum
Old 04-13-2015, 12:38 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 2.5 td

Originally Posted by IBTLP
Hey, BT08. diesel huh? My other cars a 7.3 turbo diesel F250. Nice to meet you. What part of UK are you in? I lived in Knutsford, just south of MAN, for 3 years while I was over on a assignment.

Cheers,

T
Southend on sea.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 L

Well my friend, you are going to have an adventure either way looking for the jeep you want. Buying someone elses rig IS an option but there are plethoras of problems that you could be buying. You dont know their maintenence history or what little fixes were done along the way. Gears, engine wear, suspension wear, body damage...huge list of issues many built rigs have endured. Just look at some build threads and you will see.

Of course we all love our jeeps so we fix them to keep them alive, but I would rather build my jeep and have the fun than buy one already set up.

Obviously when you buy any vehicle you want the lowest amouny of miles. In my area anything less that 150k is very rare. However you could find anything if youre doing a country wide search.

RUST. It sucks. It finds dark places to grow and you dont find it unless you take things apart. Lower rear quarter panels. You have to take the end caps off to see. Fender areas. Floor boards on passenger and driver side....pretty much anywhere. These unibodys can get bad. Look up some pictures to get an idea of where it may be.

LOCATIONS. Our jeeps have gotten around. If you can find a one time owned jeep, from the desert, that would be the best bet. Snow states and beach states have the greatest potential for rust.

Cracked stuff. I wouldnt recommend 2000-2001. Those were the ones that have cracked manifolds. Yes theoretically it would only crack if its been pushed too hard, but youre buying a used jeep, what are the odds the PO knows about this issue or could tell you theyve been sure to never strain the engine?

Theres far more extensive write ups on here buddy, search around. Thats how I learned too.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:26 PM

Thanks Night Rider all info is helpfull and will continue look around for more.

Cheers!

T
Old 04-14-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Welcome to the forum
Cheers!