Looking for input on where to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 v6
Thumbs up Looking for input on where to start

Hi everyone. I have a '00 'rokee stock except the radio. I have a few maintainance issues to deal with and don't know where to start. I got infor about the lights. Thanks for that. But my pressing issue is my power steering it's squeeking like hell. Probably time to replace it. But I want to get the best one. Also is there a "best one". Second question is I need a radiator. My current one is brown and disgusting. I was told replacing it would do wonders. Again what's the "best" one to get. This is my daily driver but looking to mod it and get another daily driver. I have done other "basic" services to it. What would you recommend to do to it to make it in tip top shape. Looking to get a small lift any suggestions there. Anyways I know it's a lot but I have so many questions and I'm new but INLOVE. i have been bitten by the jeep bug. I'm hooked for life!!!

Last edited by Kate0III0; 11-25-2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Mis spelling
Old 11-26-2016, 12:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In buying parts before where have you went? Auto parts store locally or ordering?
As a lift it depends on what you want and how big of tires you'd like to have. I'd start looking at 2" budget boosts then look at any lift kits from 3-3.5". There's a lot of guys with some really nice set ups on here that could give you a good idea on what you want! They'll probably be more of a help than me...but I'd look through different set ups lift wise. (Ex. 2" on 30s, 3" on 32s, 3.5" on 31s, etc.)
Old 11-27-2016, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 v6

I was planning on ordering. Local parts store I'm thinking won't have as good? So tr thing is I'm trying to do work on it but my thinking is if I'm going to swap it out might as well get the best. So thats where I'm looking to start. What brand / site is the best place to get quality parts from. And thanks for the infor about the lift. I'm just looking to make t looke "perky". I see one rolling around by me and it's sharp
Old 11-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Kate0III0
But my pressing issue is my power steering it's squeeking like hell. Probably time to replace it.
When you say it's squeaking, do you mean belt squeal? Is the power steering actually working when you turn the wheel (as in, it's still easy to turn and the steering doesn't get really stiff)? Is it squealing all the time, or just when you turn the wheel?

Before installing a new pump you may not actually need, check your belt to make sure it's tight, it's not worn out and it doesn't have anything contaminating it. The belt on these motors has to be a lot tighter than you expect.

You can set the tension correctly by using a Krikit II tension gauge ($15). You can order it from Amazon, but some Napa stores actually carry them in store. Set the tension on a used belt between 140 and 160 ft lbs.

The belt may be slipping because it's old and worn out. The best replacement is a Continental Gatorback. It's made with little nubs instead of grooves, and it grips better than the grooved kind even when not tightened properly. You should still tighten it properly, though, and the proper tension on a new belt (one that hasn't been run at all) is between 180 and 200 ft lbs (because new belts stretch a little as soon as you run them).

Don't try to use belt dressing. That stuff just masks the real problem temporarily.

Second question is I need a radiator. My current one is brown and disgusting. I was told replacing it would do wonders.
By "brown and disgusting," I'm assuming you mean the coolant inside has brown crud in it. Just replacing the radiator will not get rid of that crud, because it's inside your engine block as well. If you replace just the radiator, the crud inside your engine will migrate to the radiator and show up under the radiator cap again.

Normally, I would suggest doing a complete cooling system overhaul. That would involve flushing the system with either 1/4 cup Amway laundry detergent or Preston coolant system flush and replacing the radiator, all hoses, water pump, thermostat, radiator cap and fan clutch. Stant makes the most reliable thermostats and radiator caps. People seem to have good luck with Napa water pumps. There's a lot of argument over whether it's best to use a $90 Autozone radiator with a lifetime warranty and replace it as it fails or spend $300 on an aluminum radiator, so I won't wade into that.

HOWEVER, with all that said, you have a 2000, which complicates matters a little. The 2000-2001 XJs came with the 0331 head, which is known to crack for no apparent reason. One of the warning signs of the 0331 head crack is brown crud in the cooling system where exhaust gas boils the coolant and causes the mud to precipitate out of the coolant solution. Brown crud doesn't automatically mean you have a cracked head, since that can be caused by other things as well.

Before you throw a few hundred bucks at a cooling system overhaul that would just have to be done again, I would read up on the 0331 head crack and see if you have any of the symptoms. There is a lot of info here if you do a search. If you do have the symptoms, test for the crack and fix it if necessary before doing the cooling system overhaul, because if the crack is causing your cooling issues, the brown crud will come right back after you flush it all out. You should investigate this before doing a cooling system overhaul because the brown crud can eat a brand new water pump in as little as four months, and your overhaul becomes wasted money since you didn't fix the underlying problem.

I was planning on ordering. Local parts store I'm thinking won't have as good?
Local parts stores are fine for most things except sensors. If you need to replace a temperature sender or oil pressure sender, get those from the local dealership parts department. You can often save some money by ordering parts from Rock Auto, but don't forget Amazon as well. Sometimes Amazon has the best prices you can find on parts, and if you have Prime membership you don't pay for shipping.

Last edited by extrashaky; 11-27-2016 at 11:37 AM.