Hello

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hello

Ok I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee that I`m sick of fixing,to me it`s a piece of crap.I`ve replaced over $2,000 in parts,paid $1,200 for it.The rear end makes a humming noise,I had the bearing and seals replaced and now hums.The ac was working then quit,put more freon in it works for a few days and hot air,looked under the hood after turning it off and hissing noise and the belt squeals only when the ac is on for a minute or so.Anybody know I should do or should I put it on Craigslist and get rid of it?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by jeremy1114
Ok I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee that I`m sick of fixing,to me it`s a piece of crap.I`ve replaced over $2,000 in parts,paid $1,200 for it.The rear end makes a humming noise,I had the bearing and seals replaced and now hums.The ac was working then quit,put more freon in it works for a few days and hot air,looked under the hood after turning it off and hissing noise and the belt squeals only when the ac is on for a minute or so.Anybody know I should do or should I put it on Craigslist and get rid of it?
If I was in your situation I would do some pretty thorough research on how to fix some of the problems your having. There is no better vehicle to own if your going to work on it yourself. Jeepers have an incredibly vast network of resources available to them (forums, clubs, etc.).

If you decide you are not comfortable or don't have the time to work on your XJ you may might want to sell. I guess you also have to ask the question, if I sell this vehicle will I have enough money for another vehicle? I don't know your finances.

I'm in the same boat as you for the AC though, I have an 01. A full refrig. fill only lasts a few days. I just say **** it and roll the windows down. Lol. Hopefully someday I can look into the problem. But I only put about 4,000 miles a year on my XJ, so the AC is always on the back burner. Sounds like you have a leak though. I know XJs are know to leak at the evaporator inside the dash. That can be a pretty expensive fix and while the dash is apart the heater core should be replaced as well.

I think you have some automotive soul searching to do.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:37 PM

I know there`s a lot of automotive soul searching to do I bought it cause it was a Jeep and for the price knew it was too good and a reason he wasn`t saying why he was selling it.I can fix washers and dryers,vehicles slowly learning but just drove this Jeep from Wisconsin to Las Vegas and now trying to find a job.Yeah don`t want to drive with the windows down in Vegas too hot.But the hissing sound sounds like a leaky line if the leaks inside the dash I`m taking a sledge hammer to this jeep but just bought some leak seal for $22.00 going to try tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

I know there`s a lot of automotive soul searching to do I bought it cause it was a Jeep and for the price knew it was too good and a reason he wasn`t saying why he was selling it.I can fix washers and dryers,vehicles slowly learning but just drove this Jeep from Wisconsin to Las Vegas and now trying to find a job.Yeah don`t want to drive with the windows down in Vegas too hot.But the hissing sound sounds like a leaky line if the leaks inside the dash I`m taking a sledge hammer to this jeep but just bought some leak seal for $22.00 going to try tomorrow.
Good luck man. We are here if you need any help or advice. Keep us posted on what's happening.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

The ac squeal means the serpentine belt most likely needs to be replaced or just needs a bit more tension. Don't put any belt dressing on it! There's definitely a leak in the system if it doesn't hold a charge.

A growling rear end is a sure sign of a problem. Start by simply making sure there is enough oil in the diff.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:32 PM

Tried the can of ac sealant that was guaranteed to fix it,well 20 minutes later and the compressor is smoking and freon was coming out and spraying every where yesterday.Read on Google compressor are easy to change,found a place to get a cheap used one so today went to get gas and heard a clunk noise from the front drivers side.Got back home put it on Craigslist and sold it for $900.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

That sucks to hear man, it just wasn't meant to be.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:53 PM

No it was a total loss of money for me cause the previous owner didn`t take of this Jeep,but looking at a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $850 tomorrow.Says it works fine but that price has to be something wrong with it.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

No it was a total loss of money for me cause the previous owner didn`t take of this Jeep,but looking at a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $850 tomorrow.Says it works fine but that price has to be something wrong with it.
Out of one Heep and into into another. LOL. I don't think 900 bucks is going to buy a lot of car in an situation.

Like a good friend said, you either making car payments or paying repair bills.