Greetings from across the pond

Old 08-24-2015, 01:35 AM

Location: Croatia-go to where people speak Italian and continue till they speak something else
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Greetings from across the pond

Greetings,

New member and soon to be an owner of Jeep Cherokee(now don't shoot me it's a diesel model

Anyway i got a really good deal on a 2nd gen 96' 2.5td cherokee(yes it's the one with the vm engine..)

Now the issue that it is having is that it jump out of first gear(did not try it myself the current owner passed the info) so as a good little bee i went around the net trying to see how/what it is and how can it be fixed.

From rebuilding the transmission(yikes) to checking the "inner shift boot" now since he has no manual or parts catalogue for that car i naturally googled cherokee+forums and here i am.

So the question is can someone help out a bit and provide some more info what the hell is a "inner shifter boot" or a part number since looking for it on ebay i get woolen mittens inner for boots and what not. Also if there is a workshop manual around it would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Old 08-24-2015, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome. There's a member here with the same engine and trans combo, I think he might can help you. He's from your side of the pond also.

His handle is bullettooth2008
Old 08-25-2015, 01:42 AM

Location: Croatia-go to where people speak Italian and continue till they speak something else

Thank you for the reply i will send bullettooth2008 a PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Welcome again Lol, inner shift boot ? Is that the technical name for it?
Never had an issue with this on mine, I have replied to you and hope you get a result, if not feel free to contact and we will get the part you need.
Where are you actually based?
Thanks xj wonders for thinking of me, very moving Lol.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:25 AM

I'm in Croatia and the "inner shift" thingy i found it while browsing around the net by googling xj jumps out of first gear(tbh i read like 500 threads concerning the xj so i have no idea where exactly i found that term

Well in any case i should be picking it up this week and then the real troubleshooting will start this was more of a prep work

On a positive note i managed to find a 2.5l VM diesel manual so i got that going for me

I have no doubt i will be posting here in the future when i start meddling around the car.

In any case thx for the help and will contact you if i need help with parts and whatnot.

lohi.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site it's great to have you here

Tony