first build / front bumper

Old 10-14-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default first build / front bumper

Hey all.

Still new to this site and finding it super useful.
Picked up a 98 XJ and am slowly getting cleaned up as a daily driver. When I got it the front was a bit smashed up, and after looking at the cost of OEM plastics I figured it was a good excuse to just whip up a new one.

Here it is on the side of the road on my way back from picking it up showing the old bumper - a quick search here then unplugging the KPS / hooking it back up and I was up and running.

I just wanted something quick and easy, and had some steel pipe sitting around at work + a CNC plasma and basic welding, so here's what I ended up with.

I took a couple of pictures along the way - noting new or crazy here but seeing other people's builds was helpful to me so I though I might as well post my process.

First I traced the bumper mounts, then cut some brackets that would fit the pipe:

Then a couple quick bends to the steel tube and (sloppy) MIG welding:

I wanted a little more structure so cut brackets for the front, adding some cutouts for tie downs / tow points.

Got plans to power coat it in the future - hopefully when I have a matching rear bumper - but for now it got the rattle can treatment then screwed the plate back on and bolted it up.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

You need to make tie in plates,With only the stock bumper bolts on you can't pull or be pulled with that bumper or youll end up pulling the bumper off the jeep.