adding electric brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default adding electric brakes

new to forum, looked at FAQ N/A Does it bother anyone that Jeep only offers electric brake controllers on RAM products. Some states require electric brakes on trailers over 1500 lbs but if you put on after market elec. brake controller and it shorts out or ??? jeep can say problems not under warrantee. Thus they are selling a hitch for 4500 lbs but w/o controller legal to 1500 lbs.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

that is how it has been forever.

Welcome to Cherokee Forum
Old 01-12-2017, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

It has always been the responsibility of the vehicle operator to provide for trailer braking. There are other trailer brake types besides electric. As you indicated, some states require trailers over 1,500 lbs to have braking, some don't require it until it exceeds 10,000 lbs, like mine. Most are in between. Boat trailers, for example, seldom have electric brakes for obvious reasons. It wasn't until recently that the Big 3 offered integrated trailer braking in HD pickups, and it STILL is an option on some models. I have a Ram 2500 with a high-end proportional brake controller that I installed for my 13K equipment trailer. For my 3K trailer, I have no use for a brake controller as it is neither required by law here, nor do the truck brakes need any assistance at that weight. If I were to start towing a fifth wheel or a goose neck, I'm certainly not going to blame Dodge for it not coming with the necessary connections- I'm going to install what I need, and start towing.

Don't blame the manufacturer. You knew it when you bought it. Go buy and install a controller. Or, buy a $65,000 truck, and you'll have one.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I-6 Cyl. w/ 0630Head+MikeWilsonAdapter (preserves engine/brain function w/ stronger head) 62mmTB

Welcome.