Accessories Post any Cherokee accessories you wish to sell.

[FS] Custom Weatherproof Relay and Fuse Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee
Default Custom Weatherproof Relay and Fuse Boxes

Custom Weatherproof Relay and Fuse Boxes. All prices include shipping to the 48 states.

$150- basic setup with switch wiring hard wired into box
$175- basic+ switch wiring is on 6 pin quick connector
$200- 6 pin quick connector for switch wiring and 2 pin quick connectors for the 5 relay circuits

Kit Includes
-Relay Box
-80 amp circuit breaker
-5 micro relays
-4G supply wiring
-5 foot switch wiring whip
-2 mounting brackets

Specs

IP66 watertight
80 max amp rated
30 amps max per circuit
Accepts up to 10g wire

Holds 5 280 micro relays or 3 280 mini relays
Holds 10 mini fuses

I started researching relay box options and ran across these cool little boxes. It looked like an interesting project to take on so I started ordering parts and tools and wire to build my own from scratch. The result is a pretty solid little setup. All terminals are crimped with a specific tool and soldered. The kit is designed around the engine bay of an 01 xj. I can put together kits for pretty much any vehicle, just PM details. This kit puts the box next to the brake booster and the breaker mounts on the firewall next to the hood hinge. Pictures below. Please note- There are a several different orientations the box can be mounted. For that reason, I have only supplied the two brackets shown below. Final mounting is up to the buyer. I'm always available to answer questions. PM to order anytime. Typical wait time to get a box is 1-2 weeks. I'm working on detailed installation instructions which should be available soon.

How it works-

You send your 12v low current switch signal to the box via one of the colored 18g wires. Each colored wire has a corresponding red high current wire. This wire powers your accessories. Each relay circuit is protected with an ANL mini fuse in the box. Additionally, there are 5 non relay fused circuits available.

This photo shows the wiring on the back side. The small multi colored wires are the low current switch wires. The small dark blue wires are the ground for that signal path. The large 10g wires go to your accessories. The 5 loops you see are the jumper from the fuse to the relay. So every other fuse on the front, corresponds to the relay. fuse1 relay1, fuse3 relay2, fuse5 relay3 etc...

Cover Off

These boxes can handle just about all the needs most of us will run into. You can run LED light bars, stereo, air compressor and fog lights, all in the same box. Anything that doesn't draw 30 amps by itself. It's relatively small for the job it does too. It makes for a much cleaner engine bay and keeps all the high current out of the cab.

One thing I think is pretty cool: You can run your headlamps off the box too. Each relay circuit is rated to as much as 30 amps. Thats 360 watts per circuit. You can run your high beams on one relay, your low beams on another. Eliminate the need for a seperate headlight harness, and still have 3 relayed circuits and 5 fused hot circuits left. I also ran one of the fused hot circuits into the cab to a small fuse box which powers my CB and NAV

This picture shows the optional 2 pin quick connectors for the relay circuits. I supply the female half of the connectors with a small pigtail attached. This way you can build your wiring harness on the bench, and don't have to do any crimping or soldering under the hood.

This Photo shows the optional 6 pin connector for the switch wiring. This connector makes installation easier when running the whip into the cab

Here's some extra pictures

Last edited by CR-Snow; 01-25-2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Price adjustment
Old 06-14-2016, 11:18 PM

Yikes, sorry for the giant pictures. If a mod can resize, please do. If not my bad ha.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Wow, these are pretty dang nice.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 93XJeeper
Wow, these are pretty dang nice.
I agree. Very nice.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:47 AM

Glad you guys like them. Holler at your friends if you know someone that could use one.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Defiantly going to have to get one. Short on funds at the time but hoping you'll make them for a bit. Looks great
Old 06-17-2016, 05:56 AM

Year: 2000

Those look nice! I bought mine on eBay a while ago but your price beats out the ones listed there!

Do you use TXL/Auto wire?
Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mwxj
Those look nice! I bought mine on eBay a while ago but your price beats out the ones listed there!

Do you use TXL/Auto wire?
Yep I use the GxL style wire from waytek. Meant for engine bays and harsh environments.
I hadn't seen these boxes on eBay. Glad my price is competitive.

For those asking above, I'll be able to make these boxes whenever you need. Give me about a 2-3 day turn around time and I can have them in the mail.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:23 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by CR-Snow
Yep I use the GxL style wire from waytek. Meant for engine bays and harsh environments. I hadn't seen these boxes on eBay. Glad my price is competitive. For those asking above, I'll be able to make these boxes whenever you need. Give me about a 2-3 day turn around time and I can have them in the mail.
Yup I just looked it up again, there's two listed now, one for $108 plus $10 shipping, and one for $115 shipped. Type in "universal Bussmann relay box" and you should find them. There was a third one, who I got mine from, I don't see that one listed any more. Just want you to know what's out there to stay competitive!
Old 06-17-2016, 10:46 AM

Yeah that's good to know. Might throw some up on eBay too.

I forgot to mention that my prices include shipping to the 48 states. Outside that might be a bit higher.

I feel like my slightly higher price is reflected in the larger gauge accessory wire and the of 4g over 8g power wire. Also I provide a breaker and terminated 4g to connect to the battery.

I do like the eBay users' use of loom. I might grab some from the store today and see if I can tidy my setup up a bit.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:22 AM

Mounted my box last night that will power my headlights, fog lights, underhood lights and my interior fuse panel. Worked out pretty good. I'm working on a mounting setup for the passenger side but space is tight. Also got a little ground buss bar mounted up too.

Also, I'm adjusting my pricing. No more $150 for everything. I got some better prices on my end so I'm gonna let that reflect to you guys. $130 shipped with all the options. $115 for the most basic setup. Just let me know what you need.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I don't know how anyone would pic the Ebay relay box over CR-Snow's relay box. They both cost the same!!

competitors specs:

Pos. wire is 8 GA +- 36" long
Neg. wire is 12 GA +- 36" long
Accessories wires are 12 GA +- 36" long
Switch/ trigger wires are 16 GA +- 36" long
Fused/ non Relay wires are 16 GA +- 36" long
uses TXL wire

CR-snow's specs:

Pos. wire is 4 GA
Neg. wire is 12 GA
Accessories wires are 10 GA
Switch/ trigger wires are 18 GA
Fused/ non Relay wires are 10 GA
uses GXL wire - much better specs for under hood
Old 06-26-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by peligro113
I don't know how anyone would pic the Ebay relay box over CR-Snow's relay box. They both cost the same!!

competitors specs:

Pos. wire is 8 GA +- 36" long
Neg. wire is 12 GA +- 36" long
Accessories wires are 12 GA +- 36" long
Switch/ trigger wires are 16 GA +- 36" long
Fused/ non Relay wires are 16 GA +- 36" long
uses TXL wire

CR-snow's specs:

Pos. wire is 4 GA
Neg. wire is 12 GA
Accessories wires are 10 GA
Switch/ trigger wires are 18 GA
Fused/ non Relay wires are 10 GA
uses GXL wire - much better specs for under hood
the box will safely run 80 Amps continuous. I don't know how they think 8g wire will work for that..
Old 06-26-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999

Ugh how did I miss this one. I just bought the eBay one. It'll be fine for what I need, but still would've rather picked up this one and also supported a CF member

Last edited by Jeepology; 06-26-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepology
Ugh how did I miss this one. I just bought the eBay one. It'll be fine for what I need, but still would've rather picked up this one and also supported a CF member
Bummer! Would have loved to have your business. If you need some larger gauge power wire, send me some lengths and I'll make you some cables. Tell your jeep buddies about me too.

Quick Reply: [FS] Custom Weatherproof Relay and Fuse Boxes