Vehicles Post any vehicles you wish to sell.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS[SouthCent]: Feeler for possible sale of my favorite Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Feeler for possible sale of my favorite Jeep

I think it's time for someone else to take on the XJ...
$6000
1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport – White Exterior / Mist Gray Interior
This was my daily driver from November 201 to February 2016. I have a 30 mile round trip to work every day that is almost all highway. The body is in good shape for its age. It’s not perfect and has a few flaws, but cleans up very nice. It has 228,000 miles on it, but as you’ll see in the list below, the engine is low miles and most of the items that might fail on you have already been replaced. I get about 18.5-20 MPG on the highway, with an average of 14.6 mixed city/highway and I’m not trying to baby it.
I really don’t want to part with this, but I don’t really have room to store a third car, and I don’t want it to just sit and go unused. With all the work that has been done someone should be enjoying the Cherokee on a regular basis. I’ve owned a lot of different vehicles, and this has by far been my favorite. It’s the perfect combination of size and utility, and has a classic timeless look. I have done most of the work to the Jeep myself (with some help wrestling the engines in and out), and keep up with all the maintenance. It passes an emissions test with flying colors and starts right up and idles smooth every time.
It needs a new valve cover and oil pan gaskets, and a new rear outer pinion seal, I just haven’t had any time to get to them, but I do have the parts. It will also need to front axle u-joints replaced, but I have those (new in box Spicer units) that come with it. It seems like there might be some occasional slipping with the transmission. The AW4 is regarded as one of the best auto trans ever put in a Jeep and are known for their durability, so it might just be the torque converter, but I’m not sure. Just want to put that out there. It drives just fine, but if you put your foot heavily into the throttle from a standing start, you feel and hear a vibration for a few seconds, then it goes away. Given that, like I said, it may just be the torque converter. Other than that it drives just fine.
Originally paid $2650 for it as a stock vehicle with a blown engine. There is almost $9000 worth of replacement and upgrade parts that have been put on it. There is over $1000 of additional parts that come with it. I have a folder full of receipts.
“The List” (and what I paid for items)
• ATK remanufactured engine (long block – block and head) with roughly 45K miles - $1895
• Security with Remote Start and 3 transmitters - $190
• Cruise control
• Power windows, lock, and mirrors
• 4 speed auto
• 6 month old 235/75-15 Toyo Open Country AT II tires with 90% tread - $700
• Jeep factory “Ravine” wheels from 2006 Wrangler, including full-size spare - $175
• 1.25 Inch Rough Country wheel spacers - $140
• 2 inch Old Man Emu lift (full rear springs, Daystar front spacers) - $350
• New Bilstien 5100 series shocks - $300
• Karnage Off-road upper rear shock mounts installed to address factory bolt issues - $70
• New braided stainless front brake lines - $75
• New Raybestos front brake calipers – installed 1-16 - $120
• Power Stop drilled and slotted front rotors installed about a year ago - $130
• New front wheel/hub assemblies installed 10-15 - $150
• Spartan differential locker in rear - $325
• 8.25 Chrysler rear axle (regarded to be as strong as a Dana 44)
• One year old Diehard Ultimate gel cell battery with 7 year warranty - $179
• New AC compressor and dryer - $180
• New water pump - $50
• New alternator - $110
• Dodge Neon 4-port injector upgrade - $100
• New tie rod ends and drag link installed 5-11 - $80
• Walker Quiet flow muffler and new tailpipe installed 1-16 - $125
• Catalytic converter replaced at engine installation - $90
• Entire cooling system replaced at engine installation (water pump, fan clutch, radiator) - $140
• New starter 9-15 - $80
• Spark plugs and wires replaced 1 year ago - $35
• Castrol full synthetic used since engine had 3500 miles.
• Mopar oil filters and Wix air filters always used
• Royal Purple gear oil run in axles
• Or-Fab HD hidden winch front bumper with bull bar - $550
• New Mopar original throttle position sensor – installed 10-15 - $85
• Crankshaft position sensor and camshaft positions sensors replaced with Mopar parts at engine install - $120
• New full-size spare tire
• New headliner
• Husky Liners front seats, back seats, and rear cargo area - $300
• Surco roof rack with optional full floor kit - $450
• (4) Quickfist clamps on roof rack for shovel and axe mounting - $40
• (5) LED light pods on roof rack (700 lumens each) No holes drilled in roof, so no leaks. - $125
• Roof rack light wiring harness and all lights have Weatherpak connectors so rack can quickly and easily be removed if need be without cutting wires.
• (3) Custom laser-etched switches to control off-road lights - $60
• 15 inch LED light bar on front bumper - $70
• Custom-made 35watt bi-xenon projector headlights with Morimoto projectors with active shutters, glass-faced housings, and 4300K bulbs. As good as anything on a new BMW. - $400
• Blaupunkt Toronto 420 stereo with Bluetooth, USB, and SD card reader - $150
• Blaupunkt 300 watt amplifier mounted under front passenger seat - $100
• Polk db651 coaxial speakers in front doors - $80
• Polk db521 speakers in rear sound bar - $65
• Pioneer 8” subwoofer in custom enclosure that fits flush with rear cargo side bubby space - $90
• Upgraded gauge cluster from 2001 Wrangler (brighter, easier to read, and more modern looking) - $120
• Fat Mat installed above headliner top reduce road/wind noise
• White exterior. Mist Gray interior
• Factory full console with trip/fuel/outside air temp computer and extra map lights. All functions work.
• Transmission shift solenoids replaced 11-15 - $90
• Transmission filter, pan gasket, and fluid changed 11-15 - $45
• Fender flares repainted satin black (not chalky looking)
• Class III receiver hitch with 2”ball
The buyer of the vehicle will also receive
• 5-90 main battery/ground cable upgrade kit with main power distribution fuse upgrade – new in box - $95
• Alloy USA ball joint kit (the ones on the Jeep are in good shape, I had these as spares) – new in box - $110
• (3) Spicer rear driveshaft U-joints – new in box - $60
• (2) Spicer front axle U-joints – new in box - $45
• Moog Front swaybar bushings – new in box - $10
• Brand new heater core - $45
• Brand new AC evaporator core - $45
• Full set of factory orange turn indicator lenses – new in box - $30
• Iron Rock Off Road standard or .75 inch lift shackle with poly bushings – new in box - $40
• Extra full matching center console - $60
• Extra front grill - $10
• Extra headlight trims
• Various extra interior trim pieces I’ve collected
• Brand new JCR classic sliders - powder-coated black - $465
• New gray leather cover for steering wheel. - $50+

Last edited by macgyver35; 08-01-2016 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Better/larger pictures