Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zone offroad lift kit reviews

Old 09-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zone offroad lift kit reviews

Ok so I have heard mixed opinions on zone lifts. Please only comment on this if you have one yourself or know someone that has one. Don't comment "you get what you pay for". Ok so I want to get this kit http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=439&gr=-1 with the nitro shocks and was wondering how it performs. I will not be doing rock crawling, just mudding and offroading. I have heard zone is better than RC, is thanks true? Also, it does not list a track bar, but I was wondering if it came with a track bar drop bracket? Thanks for any help. O BTW this will be going on a dd and will see offroad maybe 1-2 times per month, more times in the summer.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output

I have the 3" kit from Zone. I got all the bells and whistles that came with it and couldn't be happier. The kit settled at 3.25" all around and sits nice and level. The ride is smoother than it was with the stock suspension and is awesome off road. I've flexed it out so much while wheeling the coils damn near fell out.

It's a great kit and for the money (I totaled something like $450) is well worth it. With the extra cash I grabbed a RE Adjustable Track Bar for $100 which fixed my axle being off-center. I didn't see anything for the Track Bar in the 4.5" kit but you'll definitely need one.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by DeadCellM60
I have the 3" kit from Zone. I got all the bells and whistles that came with it and couldn't be happier. The kit settled at 3.25" all around and sits nice and level. The ride is smoother than it was with the stock suspension and is awesome off road. I've flexed it out so much while wheeling the coils damn near fell out.

It's a great kit and for the money (I totaled something like $450) is well worth it. With the extra cash I grabbed a RE Adjustable Track Bar for $100 which fixed my axle being off-center.
I didn't see anything for the Track Bar in the 4.5" kit but you'll definitely need one.
Thanks for the review man! I'm excited to get that on then the 31s and cragars that are sitting in the garage on. Just gotta order the lift first
Old 09-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by greenxj21

Thanks for the review man! I'm excited to get that on then the 31s and cragars that are sitting in the garage on. Just gotta order the lift first
No sweat man, hope you enjoy the lift! So you have a bit of reference, here is my buddies Jeep on the Zone 4.5" and 31's. After hearing about how much he loved his lift (and how great his Jeep looked) he completely sold me on Zone. Be sure to post some pics!
Attached Thumbnails Zone offroad lift kit reviews-image-2518657451.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0

I have a zone 3" full leaf kit on mine with the Nitro shocks, and Zone disconnects. I like it, however I haven't had it off road much yet. I need to find time to do brake hoses first. I got it through Allens Off Road here on the forum for a good discount, and he had some FAST shipping.
Attached Thumbnails Zone offroad lift kit reviews-091412184946.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

I install Zone a lot and finally pulled the trigger on getting my kit. 4 1/2" with leaves and everything needed. I haven't driven it much as I'm still sorting out a few things but on the 20 mile drive, it rode nice and didn't handle funny. I've never heard any complaints from the many installs I did which must account for something.

Here it is with 235's on it.
Name:  DSC01284.jpg
Views: 7414
Size:  95.8 KB
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by greenxj21
Ok so I have heard mixed opinions on zone lifts. Please only comment on this if you have one yourself or know someone that has one. Don't comment "you get what you pay for". Ok so I want to get this kit http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=439&gr=-1 with the nitro shocks and was wondering how it performs. I will not be doing rock crawling, just mudding and offroading. I have heard zone is better than RC, is thanks true? Also, it does not list a track bar, but I was wondering if it came with a track bar drop bracket? Thanks for any help. O BTW this will be going on a dd and will see offroad maybe 1-2 times per month, more times in the summer.
X2. Just for my xj I will be offroad a little more. I've done a lot of research and have almost decided on Zone. Hopefully this thread can help us both
Old 09-15-2012, 10:06 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I'll chime in here.. I had the zone 4.5 kit with aal's and the base shocks. I daily drove and beat the **** out of it almost every weekend and the only issue i ever had was sagging rear (aal,it was expected) and breaking bar pins on the front.

It rode and performed great up until the day i sold that jeep. Honestly,it rode better then my current xj on a RE super ride kit and OME shocks.

Last edited by zjjerk; 09-15-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the reviews guys. I plan on picking up a 3" aal kit on Friday. Would there be any problems using nitro shocks for normal dd? Wondering if they are worth extra money? How about shock boots? Any real need or just for looks? Thanks, matt
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by BearMBD
Thanks for the reviews guys. I plan on picking up a 3" aal kit on Friday. Would there be any problems using nitro shocks for normal dd? Wondering if they are worth extra money? How about shock boots? Any real need or just for looks? Thanks, matt
Honestly, the aals will sag over time, so an investment in the full leafs is worth it. And from what I have heard the nitro shocks are worth the money because they make for a smooth ride. And to my knowledge, the boots don't serve and real purpose. I honestly prefer it without boots cause they look trashy when they get dirty imo. Thanks everyone for the reviews! I am pretty much sold in zone!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

AAL's do the job nicely and they use the long ones so they ride nicer. My leaves were shot so I got the leaf packs.

As for the track bar, you just drill a hole 3/4" over from the stock hole.

I do lifts for a living and figure on a few things happening; the upper shock bolts will break and the front spring/upper shackle bolts will be a nightmare. All those bolts turned right out with no problems in my 26 year old XJ, didn't break anything and this thing seen Michigan winters since new.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

Gee Oh Dee where are you???? Back me up here

AAL are fine if your leafs are in good shape, they ride fine if you address the shackle angle

if your leafs are sagging then your AAL is going to sag
Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0

I dont know if it matters to you, but my Shocks didnt have the Zone logos on them like all the pitures show. They give you stickers for them, but they sent me black stickers for black shocks. I cant speak for the standard white shocks
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ShadowWalker
I dont know if it matters to you, but my Shocks didnt have the Zone logos on them like all the pitures show. They give you stickers for them, but they sent me black stickers for black shocks. I cant speak for the standard white shocks
I have the standard whites, they use the sticker also.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 liter I6

seems like a good kit. But I have been comparing lifts and you can get a whole lot more from the RC superflex 4.5 kit then this. Including. adjustable upper and lower control arms, track bar, stainless brake lines, sway bar quick disconnects etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zone offroad lift kit reviews